Thread: Cul de Sac grading help!

Login to Give a bone

Default Cul de Sac grading help!

I have created a corridor with a cul de sac as a dead end. The corridor itself is great and ties nicely into my existing contours. The cul de sac, too, is great, except that it does not want to daylight. I have narrowed the problem down to my daylight assembly; it seems that it doesn't have anything to daylight to because I keep getting the "target object not found" error when i add the daylight ditch subassembly. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Basically what i'm trying to do is to grade around the cul de sac and have those contours tie into the EG contours. Thanks.

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Cul de Sac grading help!

Have you gone into your Corridor Properties and set the targets for all the regions of your corridor?

Login to Give a bone

Yes, my regions all have targets that are defined in the cul de sac. All I did for these regions was to have the contours stretch into the centerline of road because i have a standard transition lane as a subassembly. Is there any reason why i can't contour the other way, outside of the cul de sac? It's my daylight sub assembly that isn't finding a target.

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

The way I do my CDS is to create a Point and set the elevation at my CL and rotate an assembly about a small circle (I use a 2' circle and trim it at the transitions) that is a separate alignment, but included in the corridor. For my transitions, I use feature lines and let C3D do the interpolation between the CL and the transitions.

Login to Give a bone

Ok, thanks for your help. Your original suggestion helped. I had forgotten to set the region to a target surface. I had intentionally left it blank so i could see the road a while back, and then when i went to create contours I had forgotten to set it to look for a surface. Thanks again!

However, I have another deal where my daylight SHOULD be cutting through a hill with a cut, but it wants to go over the hill. I tried extended the boundaries and I tried making the cut slope of the assembly more shallow, but then i get into a lot of things that i don't want to get into.

One more thing that I just noticed. Around the CDS, I am getting a warning message at one of the tangent point saying a station value target cannot be found. I have a feeling it has to do with my alignment, but i was hoping it was something i could fix on the surface rather than going back and recreating my alignment.