Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating Finishes Tags

All AUGI, all the time Alex Page's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Creating Finishes Tags

Im having a logic breakdown

I want to create a finishes tag that I can put on my interior finishes plan (ie Paint codes etc). I want it rotate/ mirror and align itself to the wall, just like the stock standard one does...but my one doesnt!

Also each wall might have a series of different codes on it, so my efforts to create shared parameters seem like an overkill

How do other users acheive this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Creating Finishes Tags

Anyone???....should I be using a generic annotation, or wall tag.......????

Login to Give a bone

Have you tried editing the standard wall tag to match your custom tag? Is your tag parametrically linked to the wall finishes?

It would help if you could post your tag family to this thread.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by JamesVan
    Have you tried editing the standard wall tag to match your custom tag? Is your tag parametrically linked to the wall finishes?

It would help if you could post your tag family to this thread.
    I didnt post the tag family because I cant work out the way to make it work!

Yes, I do want to use wall tags, mainly so that they stay with the wall if the wall moves...BUT the problem with them is if I change the label, it changes for the whole wall, this is good for 'wall finishes' ie plasterboard, whereas for paint colours they could be different for each side of the wall, and also for different sections of the wall (refer jpeg before), so not sure about parametrically linking them
    If I use a family based on a annotation symbol (as in jpeg before), I cant align the symbol to the wall, so if the wall moves, my symbol points to nowhere....

Unless my AutoCAD logic is creating havoc with my brain, I cant work out any advantage of scheduling these, so ...I guess what Im asking is for a annotation symbol that is wall-based...
    Or maybe I should look at 'key notes'???
    Actually....how do you have a wall tag that is linked to the wall finishes, there isnt a parameter in the walls to do this (I have a horrible feeling I dont know enough about this...)

Sorry if this doesnt make sense, if you're confused, please tell me and Ill try and write abit clearer on Monday!

Login to Give a bone

I think keynotes could be a solution, but they won't stay aligned/ move with the walls of course.

Login to Give a bone

I think I understand your needs. Finish data is integral to the Room object, not the walls as you may have figured out. Concerning the indication of wall finishes, the only 2 ways I am familiar with are in a Room Finish Schedule or Interior Elevations, both of which are accomplished with ease in Revit.

It sounds like you would need to use shared parameters to resolve your current requirements, although I'm not sure how they would be applied to a potential variety of finishes on a single wall.

Hope this helps.

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: Creating Finishes Tags

Concerning the indication of wall finishes, the only 2 ways I am familiar with are in a Room Finish Schedule or Interior Elevations, both of which are accomplished with ease in Revit.
    Generally, for our normal 'office areas (ie: not public feature areas) we dont require internal elevations, the wall type done with legend and sections. Therefore not neccesary to elevate generic walls. Also a lot easier for the painter to have a plan with codes on it. For our feature walls, of course we elevate these, but generally not painted anyway
    Refer jpeg for Autocad version of what we require

It sounds like you would need to use shared parameters to resolve your current requirements, although I'm not sure how they would be applied to a potential variety of finishes on a single wall.
    Unfortunately, nor do I.

Trying to create a wall-based tag with an annotation symbol family in it, where I can then edit the text for each instance...no luck so far, anyone have any other ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

You want the wall tag to recognize the finish on the wall?

Does not work that way.
    Last edited by Prodev75; 2004-08-16 at 09:01 PM.

Login to Give a bone

well..that would be good, but how do I do that if paint colour on each side is different etc (refer original jpeg)..would be happy of I could just get tag to work, I can change then to what i want and they 'stick' to the wall

Login to Give a bone

This is the way I see it.

1. Wall can be tagged and scheduled with standard or customized tags, but the tag ( and associated scheduled parameters ) is dependent on the wall type. That means for the same substrate, but different finishes, you would need to split the wall and define a new wall type for each combination of wall / finish. Thats possible but could lead to other problems down the track.
    2. Keynotes and Noteblocks can be used to point to the wall)s) and define all the different finishes. The keynotes will not move or update when the wall moves or if its type is changed.
    Considering all that, I would personally use Keynotes and Noteblock schedules for the problem you have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast