Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creating Finishes Tags

All AUGI, all the time Alex Page's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Creating Finishes Tags

Quote Originally Posted by beegee
    Considering all that, I would personally use Keynotes and Noteblock schedules for the problem you have.
    yeah...think you are right...Hey! Just opened revision Tag.rfe family and it can lock to the wall!!! Ill play with that and sort it out/ see how they did it.
    Thanks alot for everyones comments...

Login to Give a bone

After trying several methods here is what I do now: Since Revit Room Names do not at present interact with wall finishes, I don't care about linking the Room Name or the annotation to the wall itself. I have created a Keynote that is an abbreviation in an oval, like p1 for Paint 1. I use this with a leader/arrow on interior elevations and details, reflected ceiling plans, and floor finish plans.

The keynote has many instance parameters: color, model, manufacturer, source, unit cost, and so on. I put one of these for each material in a Drafting View called Color/Material Tags in my default template file. This is a central repository for all my favorite materials including source contact info and comments. I copy and paste these where I want them to show up in the project.

To make finish schedules, I make a new Note Block to display the fields from the keynotes, summarizing multiple occurances of the keynote. I can hide unused materials by filtering by a visibilty Y/N parameter. I can also create an abbreviated version for design drawings with just the abbreviation (p1) and description (paint, off white), and then create an expanded version for working drawings to include manufacturer (Benjamin Moore), color (Dove Wing 223-P), etc.

The problem with this at present is that cutting and pasting the material keynotes with parameters between projects has a bug: the keynote and its parameters paste in OK, but do not show up in the Note Block of the target project. I am told by tech support that this has been fixed in version 7.

Login to Give a bone

In my post I forgot to mention how this relates back to walls:
    What I really make with the Keynote is a Color/Material Schedule. The finish shedule is done in the typical fashion of labeling the wall finishes in the Room Name object or with a schedule key. Here is where I type in p1 for the north wall, etc. But the details of what p1 is are handled by the Note Block/Color Schedule.

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Creating Finishes Tags

I posted a previous Wishlist request for finishing tags. I'm sure I wasn't the first to do it. Revit should be able to do this, all they need to do is create a tag parameter that recognizes the surface material that shows in a view. As for me, I am always cutting up wall and floor surfaces with material overrides. What applies to this room condition, and to walls, is also true of floors. In creative architecture, it is typical that rooms will have multiple materials on floors, walls and ceilings. Room tags and wall material definitions are not flexible enough to handle this. Just imagine, if every wall or every room in a building was forced to have one uniform material, where would the experience of architecture be? Interior design would no longer exist!

All the workaround suggestions are great, but they are all very time consuming, and the solutions are non-parametric. I hope Revit listens to this and creates a finish tag. It would be a great time saver, and appropriate for all forms of custom architecture.

I have a slightly different workaround that can also help. In my case I prefer to list the material itself in the form of text rather than use keynotes (in each view). For this I created a generic annotation that has a text label attached to the "material parameter" of a project. Now all this really does is allow you to place your annotations in a project, then you go to the annotation properties and select a material...when you do this it launches the material dialog from your project, and it extracts the text for your annotation from there. This is a pseudo-parametric approach. At least this way, if you have 40 tags all over your project, and your material changes, you can update all these tags in one step by changing the name of the material itself from within the material dialog.

JG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12