Thread: "Stretch multiple" drafting entities (Revit 101 question)

I could stop if I wanted to scowsert's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default "Stretch multiple" drafting entities (Revit 101 question)

I'm fairly new to drafting in Revit. I'm an AutoCAD cross over guy so bare with me.

So I have this drawn up in a drafting view. Now I would like to do a "crossing window" and "stretch" all the objects up a few feet. How do I do that in Revit?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: "Stretch multiple" drafting entities (Revit 101 question)

Quote Originally Posted by scowsert
    I'm fairly new to drafting in Revit. I'm an AutoCAD cross over guy so bare with me.

So I have this drawn up in a drafting view. Now I would like to do a "crossing window" and "stretch" all the objects up a few feet. How do I do that in Revit?

Thanks.
    Just grab the horizontal lines (window) and move them. Attached vertical lines should follow.

I could stop if I wanted to scowsert's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for helping me out I really appreciate it. I'm sure this is really simple.

So... I do a crossing window from the lower right hand corner of the red dashed line to the upper left corner and this is what I get. (see attached) I want everything that is red to go up a few feet. I don't horizontal window you mention.

Like I said I'm sure this is very basic. That's for helping me out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Once you have everything selected, click on the "Move" button at the top of your window. Now simply click anywhere in the selection, and move the mouse straight up. Enter "X" on the keyboard for the number of desired feet and then hit enter. Drag any unconnected lines that may remain up to reconnect them or use the trim tool.

-Jon

I could stop if I wanted to dfriesen's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by scowsert
    So... I do a crossing window
    Don't. Use a "Window" instead of "Crossing" (left to right instead of right to left), so that you are only selecting the horizontal lines and any text, and the vertical lines remain unselected. When you move that up, the vertical lines will stretch along with it.

Login to Give a bone

Don't think of it as stretching...think of it as moving the items. The vertical lines should maintain there connection to the lower horizontal lines and will just elongate. If a specific distance is not important you can use the arrow keys on your keyboard to nudge the items the direction you want. Using the more you zoom in the smaller the incremental move will be.

Login to Give a bone

Hi there,

I have been a Revit technician over 5 years. I keep on learning every day a new tool or command in the program.
    What I also find is it is complicated to use certain commands. You need to do series of steps like going into Manage etc before using the command.

One of the best features of Revit is the ability to see ‘UNDERLAY’. You can stack and see exact position on the floors below however, I found it is very odd that Revit does not have some commands that are very much useful in single or multi items, such as STRETCH CERTAIN PART OF THE DRAWING & TRIMMING BETWEEN TWO LINES.

For about a month I did use Autocad 2014 in a plumbing firm. I found it is incredible some of the commands that are very useful.
    And very easy to use in single or multi items. Such as:
    • STRETCH
    • TRIMMING BETWEEN TWO LINES.
    • SCALING up/ down
    • COLOUR GRADIENT
    • HIGHLIGHTING - BOTTOM LEFT TO RIGHT [colour blue] – ITEMS TO MOVE / DELETE
    • HIGHLIGHTING - TOP LEFT TO RIGHT [colour green] - PARTS TO STRETCH/ TRIM.

** I WISH SOMEONE WOULD INCORPORATE THESE COMMANDS IN REVIT.

How ever, I found unable to see bottom floors while placing stack pipes it was not good use of the programs. As all the time you need to copy the 2D position to the next floor.

None of the company’s long term Autocad Technicians use the 3D of the program even though they have it.
    It looks like no program is perfect. Only better features and accuracy.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by black beauty View Post
    • STRETCH
    • TRIMMING BETWEEN TWO LINES.
    • SCALING up/ down
    • COLOUR GRADIENT

** I WISH SOMEONE WOULD INCORPORATE THESE COMMANDS IN REVIT.
    STRETCH - really no need for a stretch command once you understand that Revit is all about the relationships between objects. You want to 'stretch' the walls, or lines, of one side of a box, simply grab the end wall of the box and the side walls come along for the ride. I know that's a simple example but I have not found too many cases where 'stretch' would accomplish what Revit, as it works now, can't.
    TRIMMING BETWEEN TWO LINES - when you use the trim command you have the option to 'delete inner segment'. Is that not what you are after here?
    SCALING - there is a scale command (keyboard shortcut RE) on the modify toolbar
    GRADIENT FILL - Agreed. This would be a nice tool to have.
    HIGHLIGHTING - not sure what this refers to. Can you elaborate?

All AUGI, all the time Duncan Lithgow's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by black beauty View Post
    Select bottom left to top right is, I think, only relevant for move/stretch. They work fine for me.
    Select top left to bottom right does work differently in Revit from AutoCAD. The stretch tool is a quite separate tool. This type of box for trim is great in ACAD and also works in Revit. You just need to use the trim multiple tool.