Thread: Face-based Family and Annotation

Login to Give a bone

Default Face-based Family and Annotation

I'm trying to create an electrical outlet as a face based family so that it can attach to both walls and other families. It needs to have a symbol in plan with label text, although it doesn't have to scale since it's for 1/4" plans only. Here's what I've found so far.

1. In a face-based family you can only place a symbol in the Ref. Level view...
    2. but you can nest a symbol in a detail component ant put THAT in other views
    3. When you place a face based family on a vertical surface, like a wall or another family, the symbols do not show up.

Since the symbol doesn't need to scale I guess it could be made as a detail component or symbolic lines, but how would I get the label text to show? Must I use a completely different method, like separate wall based and non-hosted families? Thanks,

(If this has been covered before, please point me in the right direction--I didn't find any threads)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Face-based Family and Annotation

Anyone? Is there a work around for this limitation?

Login to Give a bone

I am also interested in this. I work in an architecture firm but we have need for the maintain annotation orientation feature available with the MEP package. It seems like the architecture package has some very frustrating limitations. I'm not sure if I would encounter other problems or limitations if I switched to MEP. What is annoying is that we need to have duplicate families for components that are ostensibly the name. It does not make sense for our office to have a wall hosted hose bib and an unhosted hose bib.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

a quick and dirty way to do it is nest the annotation symbol in the family. When you use the family in the project and your annotation is not showing up in the view you can place the annotatiive family over your location. It is a horrible fix if you don't remeber to go back and delete / move / modify it with the origional object. Sorry, it is the only why I know that will work.

One thing you might try is in the object family go to a view and make symbolic lines in that view. I beleve they will only show up in that view. It would be a better way than just placeing intellegent annotation symbols in the project, but the catch here is that I have not had time to try that way yet...

Hope that helps...

Login to Give a bone

The only way I've been able to get 'annotation' to show up in elevation of an RFA is to import a DWG with the appropriate letter(s) into the elevation view of the RFA.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Ya thats the same concept as I said before, but the catch is that I have the annation family type of let's say a duplex power outlet inside Revit already to insert. I just insert it into the section view were I need the annotation, but inserting it on the page also works. To be honest it can take up alot of space keeping all of your 'drafting symbols' in your file, but I need them for the Legend I make up, and for odd ball situations I get my self in...

Again this is not a very elegant way of doing it, but it is the quick an dirty way (and for that matter the only way I know for now)