Thread: Main reasons for buying CAD software

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb main reason for buying a CAD software

what makes you make up the decision?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Main reasons for buying CAD software

Quote Originally Posted by xgouyang
    If I understand right, you're asking which specific product to buy, like AutoCAD, Architectural Desktop, Land Desktop, etc. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

For our purposes we got LDT. Most of the drawing work I do can be done with generic AutoCAD, we have Land Desktop because we do need the specialized tools in the program for land planning and alignment tools.

Login to Give a bone

For any CAD software, you have to consider the following:

Pay back, how much productivity increase will you get from the software and how much money will that save you?

What software is everyone else using, they will be doing it that way for a reason and you may have to exchange data with them.

How much does it cost to hire trained users in taht software, some are much more expensive than others.

What are the ongoing costs. You can buy the software, but the spending does not end there. You need to keep the software up to date, you may need a PC upgrade, you may need more peripherals (printers, plotters, scanners, etc.). It ain't cheap all this CAD lark.

Is CAD actually a better way than what you are doing now? 99% percent of the time the answer will be "yes", but it is a question worth asking, because if you don't ask it of yourself, someone will ask it of you, and you need to have that answer ready.

What are the options available? You can go from AutoCAD LT up to top of the range stuff like Catia or Nemetschek, which suits your business model best?

There are a thousand other questions you can ask, but I think that covers the basics.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by xgouyang
    Today has some specifics softwares for engineering and depend on by reason and kind of work for what you need.

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Main reasons for buying CAD software

Quote Originally Posted by carl_hd_collins
    For any CAD software, you have to consider the following:

Pay back, how much productivity increase will you get from the software and how much money will that save you?

What software is everyone else using, they will be doing it that way for a reason and you may have to exchange data with them.

How much does it cost to hire trained users in taht software, some are much more expensive than others.

What are the ongoing costs. You can buy the software, but the spending does not end there. You need to keep the software up to date, you may need a PC upgrade, you may need more peripherals (printers, plotters, scanners, etc.). It ain't cheap all this CAD lark.

Is CAD actually a better way than what you are doing now? 99% percent of the time the answer will be "yes", but it is a question worth asking, because if you don't ask it of yourself, someone will ask it of you, and you need to have that answer ready.

What are the options available? You can go from AutoCAD LT up to top of the range stuff like Catia or Nemetschek, which suits your business model best?

There are a thousand other questions you can ask, but I think that covers the basics.
    Thank,i got some idea

Login to Give a bone

Hi "xgouyang"

Please note I have *moved* this thread from the AutoCAD General forum to this one, as I feel this particular forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Manager