Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grading using feature lines??

Login to Give a bone

Default Grading using feature lines??

Can anyone help me grade a house pad using feature lines?

Here's my setup: I have a corridor along with the corresponding proposed contours created. I want to add grading around a building pad into that surface. The closest i've gotten is to draw a feature line and set the elevations, but when i "add the featureline to surface as breakline" it doesn't grade around the house the way i want it to. Can anyone help with this?

Also, when i draw a "box" using a feature line and set the elevations and grades, the contours ALMOST do what i want. It will put the contours exactly where i want them at the corners of the "box" but then will dip back down to its original elevation. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help.

-Andrew

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Grading using feature lines??

Hi Andrew,
    Have you created a Grade to Surface Grading for your 'Box'? Then you should be able to add that to your surface and get what you are looking for, also, don't forget to add an Infill for your pad to get the surface to see it as a flat plane.

Login to Give a bone

Mark,
    Would grading to surface work for my building pad though? I have set elevations on all 4 corners of the pad, and i want the proposed contours to reach to those pad elevations. Either that or tie into the house.

My progress from my last post is this:
    I created 1 feature line along the front of my building pad. I then created grading by distance 50' back (the width of the building pad). This gave me nice contours going through the pad (walkout basement in this case) but the proposed surface will not tie into those contours when i link the feature line to the surface. Am i missing a simple component?

-Andrew

Login to Give a bone

Hi Andrew,
    If you set your Corridor target to your pads, you should get the contours you are looking for. As for the side and back slopes, don't you want them to grade into your existing surface?

Login to Give a bone

Mark
    Thanks for all your help so far.

Setting the target of the corridor to the feature line surface didn't change the contours at all when i linked them. Did I do this wrong? All I did was create a building pad area with a feature line and had it automatically create a surface and then attached that surface to a region in my corridor. Does "Add to surface as breakline" have the same effect or no?

-Andrew

Login to Give a bone

In reply to my own post, I can't link my corridor to my building pad surface because it's already linked to the Existing surface as a target and i can't have two regions spanning the same distance. I'm just hoping to create a small grading object for each house and have my contours flow around the house or through it, but I'm starting to think that that can't be done?

Login to Give a bone

Andrew,
    In your corridor assembly, what sub assembly do you have at the very end? Is it a slope to surface link or slope to target, or slope distance and grade? If it is a Slope to target, you can set the target there to look for your Pad Feature line in your Corridor Properties dialog. I cannot remember if 07 has the pad sub assembly or not. I know 08 does though. Maybe you can post your assembly here to make it easier for everyone to help?

Login to Give a bone

For my subassembly I have it daylighting all the way around (it's a cul de sac) so i have the sub assembly target as the existing surface because that's what i want all the way around. But there are the few house pads that i want the daylight to recognize. So in other words, I want my sub assembly to daylight still...i just need to place a grading object in that daylight? Does that make sense?I can still post my sub assembly if you'd like but i'm not sure how much it will help seeing as i need the sub assembly to daylight like it is...except where the houses are.

Login to Give a bone

Hi Andrew,
    Maybe this image will help you more than me writing out the process.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Mark, that does help. I wonder if you need to make seperate alignments (8 different ones?) around the cul de sac to get thos regions or can you just break your existing alignment into certain regions?

Thanks again for your patience and help!

-Andrew

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast