See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using fields in a block to display x,y coords

Login to Give a bone

Question Using fields in a block to display x,y coords

I'm not very familiar with using fields in my drawings but I've come across a need for them. What I'd like to do is create a block consisting of a circle and a field that display the coordinates of the center of that circle. Then I can copy the block to each point I need to show the coordinates of.

It seemed simple enough, but for some reason, once the block is made all the fields display 0,0 and won't update with the actual coordinates. I've tried making a block with a field as text and another with the field as an attribute with both giving me the same result. It makes me wonder if there's a system setting that I should change or something equally simple but I can't seem to find any information of anything like this.

I could stop if I wanted to rdaniel's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Using fields in a block to display x,y coords

There are a couple of ways that you can do this. Either through a block placeholder or through a tag after the block has been placed. Just depends if you want the tag separate from the block or all one item. Personally, I prefer the in-block method.

For the block placeholder - insert a field in your attribute default and select block placeholder from the list. Then select location. You can format it however you want. (see attached).

We also have done the tag method for a pier-location schedule. We have the piers as blocks, tag their location with a tag and then schedule them. I can share those if you are interested.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Create your block with two ATTDEFs.
    After the block is made, run the ._DDATTE command.
    For the X value, right click and choose Insert Field
    Choose Object, select the block, then choose Position.
    Check the "X" value, set the format, press OK.
    Repeat for the Y value.

Copy and/or move this block around and REGEN to see updates.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Hi

Additionally you may like to look at the following...

Dynamic block with attributes that display X, Y, and Z values

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Also what is your "fieldeval" set to? Set it to 31, regen twice if the answer does not update, maybe try recreating the block with new attributes. For some reason this works. If it doens't if you could possibly post the block we could dissect the problem much easier.

Login to Give a bone

Veering off course slightly, I have a routine that will place text of the co-ordinates of any block, or other filtered for object, in your drawing.

It does a few other things besides, like replacing one block with another in all selected locations, that sort of thing.

Would that be of use? I can post it up if so.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain
    Create your block with two ATTDEFs.
    After the block is made, run the ._DDATTE command.
    For the X value, right click and choose Insert Field
    Choose Object, select the block, then choose Position.
    Check the "X" value, set the format, press OK.
    Repeat for the Y value.

Copy and/or move this block around and REGEN to see updates.
    That worked, thanks. I still don't see why it won't work when the field is added as the default value, but at least I got it to work now.

Login to Give a bone

Is there any way to display the X & Y co-ordinates for multiple points in a dynamic block? I have a set of pile cap blocks that I'd like to have co-ords displaying the centre of each pile. I've tried assigning the attribute to a point on the centre of each circle, but when inserted into the drawing it just tells me how far away from the insertion point they are, not the actual world co-ordinates.

I could stop if I wanted to rdaniel's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    Is there any way to display the X & Y co-ordinates for multiple points in a dynamic block? I have a set of pile cap blocks that I'd like to have co-ords displaying the centre of each pile. I've tried assigning the attribute to a point on the centre of each circle, but when inserted into the drawing it just tells me how far away from the insertion point they are, not the actual world co-ordinates.
    Sure. There are two ways I have accomplished this. The first is to create a a pier multi-view block and then create a tag that reads in the coordinates. This one is best if you want to create a location schedule table because you can schedule these objects. (not sure if you can schedule regular blocks or not?)

The other way is to make the "tag" integral with the block by using a field in the attribute. The only catch is that when you insert it into a drawing, the field will default to ##### and you have to reset it to read in its own x,y coordinates. My theory to why it does this is that the field is trying to read in the coordinates for an object which isn't in the drawing yet (because you are in the process of inserting it). So then you take 20 seconds to re-format the field and you can then copy the block all over the drawing (Note: that you will have to update the fields when you move / copy them around).

To reformat the field, double click on the field and match the settings in the attached image. Also attached a .dwg with a block example. Hope it helps.

** Just noticed that Mike Perry referenced a post above as well - looks like it was pretty thorough.

*** and looks like I made a similar post here in June..... so now you have the similar information worded in two ways.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rdaniel; 2007-11-30 at 04:05 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for that reply Randall, although I still appear to be struggling. I've tried putting attribute tags into the block, but unless they reference the insertion point, they don't give true co-ordinates when inserted in the drawing - only how far away from the insertion point they are, so in the case of a 2-pile cap, they display -300 & 300 as the pile centres no matter where they are placed on the drawing.

I've no idea about pier multi-view blocks. I did a search and it looks like they are 3D blocks which I don't think I want for this application.

Cheers anyway

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast