View Poll Results: Would a Dynamic Block FAQ be something that would facilitate / enhance DB usage?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I could definitely use that

8 80.00%
  • No, it's not something I need

1 10.00%
  • Maybe, it depends on the content

1 10.00%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dynamic Block FAQ

Login to Give a bone

Default Dynamic Block FAQ

just a thought - it may be useful to have a DB FAQ put together and stickied - seperate from the links to the autodesk site that are currently there. i think a good half of questions posted here are solved by three or four things, most frequently battman / attsync or making sure paramaters and not actions are selected in rotates / stretches / arrays.

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dynamic Block FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Chad_C
    just a thought - it may be useful to have a DB FAQ put together and stickied - seperate from the links to the autodesk site that are currently there. i think a good half of questions posted here are solved by three or four things, most frequently battman / attsync or making sure paramaters and not actions are selected in rotates / stretches / arrays.
    I think most of the problems in the first place happen because most people don't bother taking the tutorial that's found in their Help Menu. Most people also don't know how to USE the Help menu effectively.

On top of all that, every problem that is posted in the Forum has been solved before, but most of the times, the "search" tool isn't used either.

It's human nature, I think, because I did the same thing and one day I just wised up ... a bit. I still do it if it's in regards to other CAD related problems. I imagine it's the same thing with everyone else.

All that being said, I think it's a good idea.

But it will only be helpful if people actually READ the thread and accompanying FAQ.

Chris may be more optimistic when it comes to this idea, but I'm a bit jaded and don't think it would offer much to the casual user.

Let's get everyone else chiming in on this subject ....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

Im with Rico, It would be a great thing IF people bothered to use it. On that note go for it

Login to Give a bone

I think the FAQ would be cool, but I agree with the fact that most people post rather than searching for the same subject. (It took me awhile to figure that out too!) Plus isn't that going to put us DB posters out of a job if we put up a FAQ. I think it is job security you know . But heck you have my vote, for it, and I'll throw in my 2 Abe Lincoln's if needed...

Login to Give a bone

By a vote of 8-1, the ~overwhelming~ opinion is that a DB FAQ would do well within AUGI.

I'll start looking into it.

In the meantime, I'd like to suggest that everyone chip in by providing information they feel would be critical to a Dynamic Block FAQ. I'll take everyone's feedback and try to include as much as possible into the FAQ.

Heck, I might even do it as an ATP .... but then again, I've been threatening to do an ATP for about a year ...

Anyway, start the tip sharing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

How about this one you posted back awhile ago Rico. I have it bookmarked just for reference.

Please Please Please create blocks on layer 0 and start them @ 0,0,0 and also put the base point parameter @ 0,0,0

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by marklabell
    How about this one you posted back awhile ago Rico. I have it bookmarked just for reference.

Please Please Please create blocks on layer 0 and start them @ 0,0,0 and also put the base point parameter @ 0,0,0
    That's a GREAT FAQ item. not biased or anything.

Keep 'em coming!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by .chad
    most frequently battman / attsync or making sure paramaters and not actions are selected in rotates / stretches / arrays.
    When attributes / DB's arent behaving, first try to battman and/or attsync them.

include paramaters, but not actions in a selected action (rotate, stretch, array, etc )

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: Dynamic Block FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by .chad
    include paramaters, but not actions in a selected action (rotate, stretch, array, etc )
    Unless the action has an independant base point or an angle offset

All AUGI, all the time CADDmanVA's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Great idea Chad!

1. Turn off the property Allow Exploding to help control rogue users.
    2. ALWAYS fill in the Description property for actions. It'll make using your DB easier for everyone.
    3. Work and test each action one at a time. It will greatly reduce trouble shooting later on.
    4. Think about Annotative Scale first! An Annotative DB cannot have Annotative Objects nested within it, and a DB with Annotative Objects cannot be Annotative itself.
    5. Try sketching your DB out on paper first, then imagine how the actions will interact within it. It makes assembling the DB much easier!
    Sorry if I made any duplicates if anyone posted while is wrote this!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast