View Poll Results: Would a Dynamic Block FAQ be something that would facilitate / enhance DB usage?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I could definitely use that

8 80.00%
  • No, it's not something I need

1 10.00%
  • Maybe, it depends on the content

1 10.00%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dynamic Block FAQ

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dynamic Block FAQ

Should warn people not to reference one attribute to another. Unless they want a battle

On XY parameters you have to set which distance effects each action, default is both.
    Last edited by Mr Cory; 2007-08-06 at 08:57 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Only add other actions to flips if said actions have angle offsets or negitive distance multipliers, or if its a scale action with an independant base point.

Login to Give a bone

If you have objects that you are arraying but they get all messed up when you flip or rotate them, your are not alone, im pretty sure this is a bug.

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cory
    Should warn people not to reference one attribute to another. Unless they want a battle
    It's doable. You just needs a field and some craftiness about the way you do it. I've got a few blocks that have an attribute referencing another one. Initially it was tough. But, like everything else, it gets easier the more you do it.

Think like the machine: Does not compute, does not compute, I am a robot ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

As a person that is new to creating Dynamic Blocks, it is a tough little set of programming to learn all of the quirks quickly. I have read everything I can find on this AUGI's forums, AutoDesk sites, Internet searches, bought Ralph Grabowski's ebook and still some things are 'huh?'.

The cross reference reading provided by different sources of which the DB FAQ would be another often gives that little crucial insight just before you pull the last of you hair out (I don't have that much).

For example, when I was learning Lookup Tables, apparently I did not key an <enter> after typing a Lookup Property. The bottom line when to "Read Only" AND grayed-out (locked) which I did not notice, of course, then no dropdown. Then I did hours of searching to try to find out why and did not find anything. Finally, I just happen to key an <enter> after the entry and the "Allow reverse lookup" returned! The big concepts in DB are easy in comparsion to these 'little quirkies' that eat you alive.

This is a vote for a FAQ!

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ron.moss View Post
    As a person that is new to creating Dynamic Blocks, it is a tough little set of programming to learn all of the quirks quickly. I have read everything I can find on this AUGI's forums, AutoDesk sites, Internet searches, bought Ralph Grabowski's ebook and still some things are 'huh?'.

The cross reference reading provided by different sources of which the DB FAQ would be another often gives that little crucial insight just before you pull the last of you hair out (I don't have that much).

For example, when I was learning Lookup Tables, apparently I did not key an <enter> after typing a Lookup Property. The bottom line when to "Read Only" AND grayed-out (locked) which I did not notice, of course, then no dropdown. Then I did hours of searching to try to find out why and did not find anything. Finally, I just happen to key an <enter> after the entry and the "Allow reverse lookup" returned! The big concepts in DB are easy in comparsion to these 'little quirkies' that eat you alive.

This is a vote for a FAQ!
    The little quirks are often what make software bearable or unbearable. Thanks for the hints and don't worry, i have the FAQ started (somewhere) and as soon as I unpack the rest of my house, I'll get on finishing it ......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

absolutely

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Having problems with a dynamic block. I have a thread going in the fields area, but I don't know how to link it. It's called "dynamic block with arrayed text..."

Think of a ladder. I want to make a block of it where each step has text associated with it that will tell the height of the step and a number that will tell the step number.

So I begin by creating a square and make it stretchable with an infinate incriment distance peremeter. I add an array to make steps as the ladder stretches. Good so far. Then I try and make the text work......and I try again.....after a few times I go mad... After a few weeks of it bouncing around my head I end up here.. Any suggestions?

I figured out how to array the text with the step, but I can't figure how to make the text update with every new step. The kicker here is that as the step expands every step will have a number and text associated with it. I figured out how to show the very top step and distance, but not every step.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Opie and I made it work. See the thread mentioned in my previous post.
    Last edited by USMCBody; 2008-06-20 at 04:39 PM.

Login to Give a bone

I vote YES, we are interested in any help we can get!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast