View Poll Results: Would a Dynamic Block FAQ be something that would facilitate / enhance DB usage?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I could definitely use that

8 80.00%
  • No, it's not something I need

1 10.00%
  • Maybe, it depends on the content

1 10.00%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dynamic Block FAQ

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dynamic Block FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by USMCBody View Post
    Having problems with a dynamic block. I have a thread going in the fields area, but I don't know how to link it. It's called "dynamic block with arrayed text..."

Think of a ladder. I want to make a block of it where each step has text associated with it that will tell the height of the step and a number that will tell the step number.

So I begin by creating a square and make it stretchable with an infinate incriment distance peremeter. I add an array to make steps as the ladder stretches. Good so far. Then I try and make the text work......and I try again.....after a few times I go mad... After a few weeks of it bouncing around my head I end up here.. Any suggestions?

I figured out how to array the text with the step, but I can't figure how to make the text update with every new step. The kicker here is that as the step expands every step will have a number and text associated with it. I figured out how to show the very top step and distance, but not every step.
    I am not sure that THIS is possible at all. Arrays cannot be combined with attributes intelligently - not as far as I have found, anyway. In other words, I do not know of any way in which you can make the array value display an incremental value that changes depending on the array ....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by martins.183886 View Post
    I vote YES, we are interested in any help we can get!
    well i am coming up on some free time in the next couple of weeks. i'll try to get this thing finished for then ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Rico View Post
    I am not sure that THIS is possible at all. Arrays cannot be combined with attributes intelligently - not as far as I have found, anyway. In other words, I do not know of any way in which you can make the array value display an incremental value that changes depending on the array ....
    yep it is possible. Just look at the thread that I previously mentioned and it will make sence... It envlolves blocks within blocks and attributes and fields. Some real trickery. Sorry I still don't know how to link to other threads.

Login to Give a bone

I've come up with some basic rules to follow:

1. (KISS= Keep It Simple Stupid) - Basically keep the block as simple as you can. EX. instead of chaining some things do you know that you can attach multiple actions to one paramerer? I beleive you can only have 1 action per grip, but I've been wrong before

2. (You need to know what you want to do.) - Sketch it out first by hand so you understand what the overall objective is. You'll get better once you have some experince behind you belt.

3. (How will the person comming after you know what to do?) - Parameters are for the Users and Actions are for the Editer. Did you know? The parameters lable will show up in the properties so call this something that the user will understand. The Action Lable will only show up if your editing the block.

4. (You need to know what your asking the block to do.) - You are writing a program and it will do exactly what your asking it to do. The good, the bad, and the ugly.... Make sure your selecting only what you want to modify. This goes back to rule #1...

5. (Do one step at a time and then save the block and use it.) - This way you know exactly where the problem is. Sometimes it is better to know where the problem is not. This get's a little in the gray area when your chaining or linking a few different actions to a parameter. See rule #4 and the truble shooting section.

6. (Sometimes you have to think outside of the box.) - This one you will have to learn on your own. See Trouble"shooting" #2

-Trouble"shooting" a block-

1. (Trace the good as far as you can to find the bad, and then ask yourself, "Self, why is it doing that") - This can kind of break/go with rule #5. When you chain things together and you find that your block is no longer working the way you want it to it may be that your last step is not the problem. Just think about what your asking the entire chain to do and hoplefully your answer will be clear... Remember the basic question you just solved for is, "My block does not work now" Sure, 99% of the time you found your problem, but it is that 1% that will drive you crazy... Like CRAZY... Also, see rule #1 and ask yourself, "Self how can I make this chain simpler"

2. (When all else fails play with it.) - It is understood that no one know's everything about AutoCAD and the same goes for Dynamic Blocks. Play with the tools given to you and the ways you aply said tools and you just may come up with something totaly unexpected.

3. (When your start to think of the "shooting" aspect, stop.) - Time, Draftsman, and Blogs have a way of solving anything. Ask around, Get help, Think about the problem some more, and let Time pass. Either you will come up with a solution or you won't.....

-Some Questions to Answer to Find What Could Have Gone Wrong-

What works?

When did it work?

What changed?

Why is it Doing that?

What is it NOT taking into Account?

What IS it taking into account?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by RobertB View Post
    Please link the thread. I searched for the thread using the terms you gave, and I cannot find it. When you find the thread, copy the address to the clipboard, edit your post here and go the the advanced editor. Select the text that you want displayed as the link, hit the "Insert Link" button (looks like the globe with a chain link), and paste in the address you copied to the clipboard.
    http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=82540

I'm not sure where the "insert link" button is...... but above is the address... does this help...

I've tested the link and it took me to the correct one. One disclammer. this instance plays off of the postion of the block within the block. It is not a catch-all do anything type of solution, but it works for ladders and anything like one..
    Last edited by RobertB; 2009-02-10 at 01:52 AM. Reason: additional information.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Rico View Post
    By a vote of 8-1, the ~overwhelming~ opinion is that a DB FAQ would do well within AUGI.

I'll start looking into it.

In the meantime, I'd like to suggest that everyone chip in by providing information they feel would be critical to a Dynamic Block FAQ. I'll take everyone's feedback and try to include as much as possible into the FAQ.

Heck, I might even do it as an ATP .... but then again, I've been threatening to do an ATP for about a year ...

Anyway, start the tip sharing.
    Here is my 2 cents. I have created a few documents on handling dynamic blocks. I cannot share all of them but this one has been modified to just general rules of thumb. I know everyone probably doesn't agree with everything I've listed, but it is a start.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by wroebuck View Post
    Here is my 2 cents. I have created a few documents on handling dynamic blocks. I cannot share all of them but this one has been modified to just general rules of thumb. I know everyone probably doesn't agree with everything I've listed, but it is a start.
    Do you know about the command BATTORDER? in your pdf you said that it was unknown how to change the order of the attributes. Go into the block editer and type in BATTORDER. You can then change order of the attributes.

Login to Give a bone

I meant the order the parameters display in the properties window. But, yes, that is a very good command to add in for the attributes. Thanks for the feedback. If there is a way to reorder the parameters, I'd love to know.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by USMCBody View Post
    Do you know about the command BATTORDER? in your pdf you said that it was unknown how to change the order of the attributes. Go into the block editer and type in BATTORDER. You can then change order of the attributes.
    or BATTMAN ....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by wroebuck View Post
    I meant the order the parameters display in the properties window. But, yes, that is a very good command to add in for the attributes. Thanks for the feedback. If there is a way to reorder the parameters, I'd love to know.
    unfortunately, it's a "plan ahead" answer. i think they appear in the order of addition.
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast