See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parent view - best practices

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Question Parent view - best practices

I have started a new workflow on my latest project that I would like to run by everyone out there: I am using dummy views for all view creation. This allows me to have complete control over which callouts show up and where. Anyone else doing the same? I just have run into so many issues with the inability to change "parent view" and would like a little more callout freedom.

Here's an issue that prompted this: I created some interior elevations during SD from my primary 1/8" floor plans. However, I got further into DD and realized I wanted those callouts in an enlarged 1/4" floor plan--not the original 1/8". I was not able to change the parent view, of course, and spent several hours copying pasting my previous detail linework and going through linework edits in the new 1/4" series until they were caught up graphically. Had I used a dummy plan, I could have chosen whether to show those elevation callouts in the 1/8" or 1/4" instantaneously and would not have lost time and work.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Parent view - best practices

I'm not sure I understand what this dummy plan would be or how exactly you're wanting to use it, but it sounds like you're wanting to remove some of Revit's inherent coordination abilities.

Why do you need to change the parent view? If I understand the new parent/dependent view feature, the parent view should be a working view only. It should not be placed on a sheet. You need a separate view at a smaller scale to show your overall plan view.
    Last edited by patricks; 2007-06-12 at 06:55 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Well, I want to spoon feed information where it counts. My hope is that the contractor makes it to my enlarged plans and then finally sees the interior elevation callouts. The problem I have found is that if you call it out too soon, your subsequent drawings can be missed. As well, the small scale plans get "gummed up" with information that is often inappropriate at that scale.

Yeah, the scenario I am describing demands a lot of forethought and is a pain in that you are always checking "reference other view".

As well, I hear you when you say "aren't you avoiding Revit's inherent view tracking strengths?" I need to clarify: I will continue to do primary exterior elevations, building sections, etc. from the main documentation floor plans.
    Last edited by petervanko182254; 2007-06-12 at 07:15 PM.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Im not sure i fully understand what problem you are having either, but i know if the potential workaround or solution is to use "reference other view" everywhere, than i wouldnt go down that dark lonely road, LOL.

I hate that stupid tool. I know its necessary, but it compromises our drawings, and i have to answer to Project Managers when they say "i thought revit couldnt lie..."

Login to Give a bone

Yeah, I am running into issues already with it because of manually calling out views via "reference other view."

I'm scratching the idea and going back to the traditional route, but it just demands thinking much further ahead in SD. I need to spend more time "cartooning" my sets and maybe I won't run into the same problems; however, I have been bitten there if and when the buildign changes substantially. Sorry, everyone, for such a tangential idea, but the inability to change a parent view is killing me...

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I hate to ask a stupid question, but im not understanding which view you arent able to change...

Login to Give a bone

Sorry...in the past wall sections, details that have given me trouble. I am using parent view too loosely (when referring to plans), and getting confused with section issues I have had. Of course when you make interior plan views, they remain even if you erase the original plan.

Login to Give a bone

one possible way would be not to show the elevation call-outs at all. then, when you name the called-out elevations, you could name them by room number-direction-name. for instance, 1108-N BREAK ROOM. then they are placed in numerical order on your elevations sheets, and the contractor can look them up by room name. this way, you can clear the clutter and show the elevation where/when you want...unless I'm misunderstanding your question.

*Edit: nevermind, I went back to see that you said callouts, not elevations.
    Last edited by cstanley; 2007-06-14 at 02:37 PM.

Login to Give a bone

No, you nailed it, actually. I guess that method is dependent upon a well developed room schedule, and it hopefully not changing? Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by petervanko
    No, you nailed it, actually. I guess that method is dependent upon a well developed room schedule, and it hopefully not changing? Thanks!
    yes, it can become quite unwieldy with changes too far down the road. that's one of the reasons i wish room tags were "room aware" so they could be partially populated by the room name/number.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast