Thread: phasing problems - graphic issues

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default phasing problems - graphic issues

I am having some issues with getting things to diplay correctly in a phased project. Currently my project has 3 phases:

phase 1 : existing conditions
    phase 2: demolition
    phase 3: construction

The exterior shell (phase 1) is a stacked wall, wood studs/siding over brick base. As you can see in the a2nd image everything diplays correctly. The shell (phase 1) is grey and the new walls are dark. Notice the hatch patterns for the exterior wall brick sill, it is looking down at the brick sill and diplays correctly. But in phase 1 the same brick sill displays with a different hatch pattern, see first image. the view range setting for all phases are the same.

Any ideas how to resolve this?

Also, is there any way to set up a plan to show walls from a future phase. An example would be to have my phase 3 walls diplays as dashed lines in my phase 1 plan.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tim.101799; 2007-06-13 at 02:59 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: phasing problems - graphic issues

Do you really have three phases set up in your project, or are you just displaying the demo?

Typically, you'd only have what you've called Phase 1 (Existing) and Phase 3 (Construction). You would then have a View which shows Demo, but you really don't need to create your own Demo Phase. Demo is just a view that displays things differently.

As to your "future" question, no you can't look into the future. The way I usually explain Phases is that it's as if you are standing on a Phase looking back in time. You can only look back in time, but you can't look "behind" you at the future.

We have occasionally used the Temporary phase as a "future", but it is cheating. things go to the "Temporary" phase when they are created and Demo'd in the same phase. However, they are then demo'd. As far as the next phase is concerned, it no longer exists. I doubt that's what you're looking for.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Just a thought - Do you have each view set to the correct phase except the Demo (not really a phase)
    Check View Properties and see what phase it is.

Login to Give a bone

I guess I can get rid of the demo phase. But right now my phase 1 (existing) is set to deiaply phase 1 with the filtyer set to "show all". Phase 3 (new) is set to display phase 3 with the filter set to "show previous & new".

Interestingly, if in the phase 1 view I set the filter to "none" the brick sill diplays correctly.

Login to Give a bone

I am not sure why it worked, but I fixed the problem..... for now.

I opened my construction phase where the exterior walls were displaying correctly. I selected them all, then cut them to the clip board. I opened up my existing phase and pasted those walls to the same place. Now eveything displays correctly in all view.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tim.101799
    I opened up my existing phase and pasted those walls to the same place.
    That was the magic.
    One fun thing about Revit is that you not only have to think in 3D, but you need to start thinking in 4D as well - the 4th dimension being time.
    It matters in Revit WHEN you create something. Each View has a Phase associated with it. Anything created in that View is set as created in its phase. So, if you draw it in the Existing View, it is Existing. If you draw it in the Phase 3 View, it is in Phase 3. Assuming, of course, that your Views are set to the correct Phase!

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

As far as future phasing goes, Dave is correct. Instead, I might recommend using filters to show information that might occur in a future phase. The filter allows you to show information selectively in views via the visibility graphics but it also allows for graphic overrides. I just finished a proposal where the "future" walls were shown as dashed using the filters overrides. Of course you could also use the new element graphic override if you are using RAC 2008. As far as "true" future phasing goes,sorry - I'm afraid you're just left with workarounds.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I wrote a little ARTICLE about future phases that might be an acceptable approach as a companion or replacement for filters.

Login to Give a bone

Be sure to cast a vote about Future phasing here and mention it to Autodesk here.