Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AutoCAD LT 2004 - Best way to create an use Blocks?

Login to Give a bone

Default AutoCAD LT 2004 - Best way to create an use Blocks?

I am relatively new to using BLOCKS in AutoCAD. Currently I am using AutoCAD LT 2004. In a nutshell, I need to create common shapes that I will use in every drawing.
    So here are my questions:

What is the best way to create Blocks?

Where is the best place to store them?

How do I choose a reference point in a block where there is no physical line?

How do I share blocks with other users or use the same blocks/tool palettes from other computers?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD LT 2004 - Best way to create an use Blocks?

Draw what you want your block to be then use "block" You will be asked for a name for your block. Also you can select what objects are part of your block. and the base point off the block.

Id keep all the blocks in a seperate drawing (not part of a job, in a library for instance) so that you only have to look in one drawing to find them (personnal opinion)

The easiest way to do this is to draw in lines to where you want the base point then select it.

How do I share blocks with other users or use the same blocks/tool palettes from other computers?
    Networked toolpalettes, hopfully someone can provide a link to a details explantation on how to do this.

Sorry about the rushed explantation!
    Last edited by Mr Cory; 2007-06-14 at 03:08 AM.

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by pourem1
    Draw the basic necessary geometry and BLOCK it. You can always add geometry once the block has been created, so if you missed something, there's no need to worry or re create it. Once your basic geometry has been drawn, you can add parameters and actions as well as the aforementioned additional geometry.

There really IS no RIGHT way to make DBs. It's the same as how you make normal blocks.

In my opinion, each block should be WBlocked and housed as its own separate file. Reason is that it keeps all the drawing files down in size, they're easier to load when opening DesignCentre and it's easier to play, modify and troubleshoot them if they're individual files. Having a GROUP of blocks in one file is also okay, if that's what you wanna do. But we've found here that things can get a bit messy when everything is mashed together into one file.

Oh, and make sure you save them as DRAWING files and not Block files. Otherwise, when attempting to open a block in any way OTHER that DesignCentre or Tool Palettes, you'll be prompted with a message that says: "This file contains authoring elements, wo-uld you like to open this in Block Editor?" and then you won't be able to see yo-ur finished work in action, you'll always be taken into the BE. Whichi s fine if you're the only person accessing them, but if co-workers are accessing them, it might prove to be tricky because then people can erase and add unneeded garbage to your blocks.

Draw ALL your geometry at points 0,0,0. Your basepoint, unless specified otherwise, is always that. But if you can also specify a basepoint using the "basepoint parameter". Again, the 0,0,0 is just the way we do things around here and is not a hard set rule.

There are a couple of threads that discuss this very thing somewhere in AUGI ...

Dynamic Blocks in a master library drawing, is it the best method

Q - Dynamic Blocks and Tool Palettes

Dynamic Block Implementation and "Authoring Palettes" Vs "Tool Palettes"?

Inter Office Dynamic Block Sharing and the use of Tool Palettes

Moving a dynamic block into its own file

Insert small DWG file with hundreds of Blocks causes AutoCAD to slow down

DB that I create, is not the DB that gets inserted!!

Inserting Blocks From Pull Down Menu

Properties/Tool palettes won't display

Editing Multiple blocks

Inserting blocks from within other drawings

Unable to create a Block Tool Palette from Design Center

When downloading DB from here, most have to be opened in the Block Editor, why

Hope this answers some of your questions, and as always if you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to post!
    Last edited by Rico; 2007-06-14 at 01:32 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

dont' forget to check out the archived ATP #143.... it's from Sept. of 2006, and is awesome!!
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Chris.N
    dont' forget to check out the archived ATP #143.... it's from Sept. of 2006, and is awesome!!
    I should have included that in my list, yes. I agree.

but shameless self promotion? hehehehe. it's okay. you're still mah dawg!

Plus too also, there's the Dynamic Block Overview and Quick Start Tutorial

I think it covers a bit of Tool Palette work in there too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

nothing quite like diving in head first!

also peek in the DB sharing forum for some stellar examples.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks everyone for your excellent support to my questions but I have to admit I'm more confused now than ever. Do I use the WBLOCK command to create a block? Do I store them all in one place or in separate files? What would be the best way to ONLY use my blocks from a tool palette? This is the only logical way I can see to use them. I am basically creating diagrams of custom shower door enclosures and dragging and dropping symbols and parts into the drawings. The drawings are submitted to architects and contractors for approval. Each door we draw is one-of-a-kind but they all share the same common components. I think I am going about this the right way. If one of you helpful folk can suggest something better, please do. Thanks again!

Login to Give a bone

Hi Pourem1,

I have merged these two threads together because they deal with the same topic and it's better for the continuity of the forum if questions and answers are grouped together til the very end.

If you need further info or have comments or questions of any kind regarding my decision to merge the two threads, please shoot me a PM and we'll talk about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

Thanks everyone for your excellent support to my questions but I have to admit I'm more confused now than ever. Do I use the WBLOCK command to create a block? Do I store them all in one place or in separate files? What would be the best way to ONLY use my blocks from a tool palette? This is the only logical way I can see to use them. I am basically creating diagrams of custom shower door enclosures and dragging and dropping symbols and parts into the drawings. The drawings are submitted to architects and contractors for approval. Each door we draw is one-of-a-kind but they all share the same common components. I think I am going about this the right way. If one of you helpful folk can suggest something better, please do. Thanks again!
    use the WBLOCK command if you want to create your DB's as seperate files, i think. if you have a lot of shared components, then i think for your case you'd want a single 'library file' for each type of component.

my personal preference is to have individual DB files. for me it's easier to update the library. but again, that's just me and my comfort level in doing this activity.

welcome aboard the DB Wagon!!
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

My tool palette is divided into sections: 'architectural', 'structural', 'plumbing', etc., so it makes sense for me to use library files for each section. Often when I'm editing a block I'll have similar blocks that require the same editing so it's quicker for me to have them in the same file.

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet - in 2008 the ability to redefine a block in your drawing directly from the tool palette was introduced, it's awesome and has meant I have no need to use the DC at all. But it only works with tool palette blocks that are from drawing files, not block definitions, so this is one more reason to create drawing files. Whether you want individual files or library files is up to you. Just remember to not select the 'block' source option when using wblock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast