Thread: Room: Upper Limit and Limit offset

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Room: Upper Limit and Limit offset

Maybe I'm am just really tired, but I read some of the threads regarding rooms and used Revit help but I am just not understanding something.

Okay, I've place rooms and tags on our floor plan. the default when i go to place the rooms for upper limit is usually wrong, so i correct it to be the floor above (which if i am on level 1, the upper limit is level 2. the limit offset is defaulted to 8'-0. shouldn't it be 0'-0"? because i don't want the upper limit to be offset 8' from level 2. but it won't let me put 0'0 in the box. i have to place a number and then when i have place all my rooms, i select all the rooms and go to the properties box and change the limit offset to be 0 and in here, Revit allows me to do it. so i am just confused. any clarification would help. thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Room: Upper Limit and Limit offset

Quote Originally Posted by nnguyen
    Maybe I'm am just really tired, but I read some of the threads regarding rooms and used Revit help but I am just not understanding something.

Okay, I've place rooms and tags on our floor plan. the default when i go to place the rooms for upper limit is usually wrong, so i correct it to be the floor above (which if i am on level 1, the upper limit is level 2. the limit offset is defaulted to 8'-0. shouldn't it be 0'-0"? because i don't want the upper limit to be offset 8' from level 2. but it won't let me put 0'0 in the box. i have to place a number and then when i have place all my rooms, i select all the rooms and go to the properties box and change the limit offset to be 0 and in here, Revit allows me to do it. so i am just confused. any clarification would help. thanks.
    You don't want the upper limit to be the second floor as the room only exists on the first floor. Think of room upper limit as ceiling height. You just want the offset from the first floor with a dimension.

Having the upper limit use the second floor as a base would mean that you would be able to tag and see the room on the second floor. I don't think that is what you area after.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by aaronrumple
    You don't want the upper limit to be the second floor as the room only exists on the first floor. Think of room upper limit as ceiling height. You just want the offset from the first floor with a dimension.

Having the upper limit use the second floor as a base would mean that you would be able to tag and see the room on the second floor. I don't think that is what you area after.
    the base level is the floor i am on, so what would be the upper limit? it seems like when i have the upper limit to be the floor above and the limit offset to be 8' it seems like it is taking the offset from the upper limit level and not the base level because it says the unbound height is 17'3 (9'-3"(floor-to-floor height) +8'-0" (Limit offset)). When i change it to a 0 limit offset, it matches what my floor-to-floor height. that's what i want, right? and then it would use the ceilings that we have created as room bounding elements too. I have attached an image of the room property dialog box for visual reference
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nnguyen; 2007-06-14 at 05:46 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by nnguyen
    the base level is the floor i am on, so what would be the upper limit? it seems like when i have the upper limit to be the floor above and the limit offset to be 8' it seems like it is taking the offset from the upper limit level and not the base level because it says the unbound height is 17'3 (9'-3"(floor-to-floor height) +8'-0" (Limit offset)). When i change it to a 0 limit offset, it matches what my floor-to-floor height. that's what i want, right? and then it would use the ceilings that we have created as room bounding elements too. I have attached an image of the room property dialog box for visual reference
    There is no base limit. There is a level it is associaetd with. The Upper Limit and Limit offset are directly related. The limit in your case should be the associated level + a limit offset..

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by aaronrumple
    There is no base limit. There is a level it is associaetd with. The Upper Limit and Limit offset are directly related. The limit in your case should be the associated level + a limit offset..
    Okay. so you mean that the upper limit should equal the level that i created it on, and then the limit offset should be 8'0?

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Sorry to re-incarnate this old thread, but I've got a similar problem.

I'm using Metric so my figures are a bit different - though the same situation applies. E.g. I've got several levels: Ground Floor, 1st Floor, 2nd Floor .... Nth Floor, Roof. Now in this building all the ceilings have a 600mm (~2') void and all floors are 300mm suspended RC (including the roof slab). Thus all my rooms should be from placed level to level above -900mm.

I can go and calculate this manually and change all rooms to comply. But the levels have a tendency (at this stage) to keep moving up/down as the client keeps changing his mind. So I'd like the room's Upper Limit to be the level above and the offset = -900. This never defaults. Every time I place a room, I have to adjust this manually - while being careful to do so quickly enough so the new mode-less properties don't apply it before all the values are entered properly (else some error message pops up causing the change to be cancelled). Previously this wasn't an issue, since the modal dialog only applied after clicking the OK buton - but now there's an arbitrary time limit after you've typed in a value / picked an option from the drop-down.

Is there no way to get the default when placing rooms to have the Upper Limit = level above +/- offset? You know: same as it works for defaults with walls?