See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rectangle Coil

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Rectangle Coil

With your help, this is what I came up with. This will work for my project. I just did a back flip.
    And
    here is the part without opeaning Inventor.
    Thanks agian for your help guys
    Attached Files Attached Files

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Just a couple of technicalities here -

I would be careful about modeling mutliple parts in one part file. That looks like it should be an assembly to me.
    Instead of dimensioning all those circles (I'll leave alone why you needed them anyhow) you could dimension just one and then window select the others and hit the = key on your keyboard.
    Sketch15 based on WorkPlane7 actually results in a Sweep feature that is slightly elliptical rather than round. In this case it isn't obvious, but... I think I would have created WorkPlane7 by clicking on the endpoint of the 3D sketch and then on the line close to the endpoint. That would create a workplane perpendicular to the sweep path for your circular profile.

Login to Give a bone

This was just a trial run and you are right, I will make the coil it own part later. I just was trying out the steps you submitted and it worked. The circles were just for reference and I was not familiar with the select and = key method, I will remember that one. As for the circle in the sweep on the plane. I did click on the 3d sketch but I also clicked on the end face of the rectangle to indicate what direction the plane should be created so it maybe off just a tad from the coil.
    Again thanks for your input and I hope I can use this source for all of my questions that may come up later.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I like the trick with the '=' key, very handy. Is there anywhere I can get a 'keyboard map' that would show any other neat tricks like that?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jswantek
    I like the trick with the '=' key, very handy. Is there anywhere I can get a 'keyboard map' that would show any other neat tricks like that?
    Based on your other post I assume you found more information. You might want to check out this document as well.
    http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2006/MA13-3%20Mather.pdf
    A lot of that is out of date for r2008. I will be doing a hands-on lab on this stuff at AU '07 if you are able to attend (I think I saw your name on the AU '06 list).

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jmather
    Based on your other post I assume you found more information. You might want to check out this document as well.
    http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2006/MA13-3%20Mather.pdf
    A lot of that is out of date for r2008. I will be doing a hands-on lab on this stuff at AU '07 if you are able to attend (I think I saw your name on the AU '06 list).
    I was at AU '06, but everything that I attended out there was ADT related, as that's what I was working with at the time. I'm sure I'll be seeing you in at least one class this year though...

Login to Give a bone

Just a note before how jmather was saying about how the lofted circle profile on the end of your spring was no on a tangential plane to the end of your spring and therefore lofted an oval around your spring, one easy way to spot this is that there is lines on the corners of your spring, its just one of those warning signs that you come look out for.
    So if you see the lines you know something isn't quite right.

I have attached a pic with what i mean pointed out.
    Hope this is of some use.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12