View Poll Results: How important is adding revision clouds to schedules?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Critical-a must-have

36 78.26%
  • Not important

10 21.74%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: clouding schedules

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: clouding schedules

Quote Originally Posted by cliff collins View Post
    .... the View gets moved
    by mistake. A typical human error--.....
    It's not always by mistake. It's usually not even a human moving things!
    If you have clouded the 30th line in your schedule, and new object gets added to the model, the new object may be on the 5th line.
    now your original object is on line 31, but your cloud is still on line 30.

And don't even get me started on clouding the line when an object gets deleted

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: clouding schedules

Dave,

Agreed.

The "human" then has to manually chase the "movement" of Revit's scheduling
    and adjust all the clouds on the Sheets............. very anti-BIM indeed.

cheers....

Login to Give a bone

Nothing new here. And I concur! I had a very similar issue in my current project. A couple of doors weren't scheduled (mark was incorrect so they were excluded) but when corrected and more rows were added to the schedule, the clouds were now incorrectly pointing to the wrong rows.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Pretty sure there's nothing new on this topic, but I thought I'd bump it just in case.

We just had a building official complain to us about this exact issue. We changed several (actually a lot of) items in our Opening Schedule and the official is complaining that they can't tell what changed. We added a (AD#3) in the comment field (manually, of course) so they could at least see which lines have changed, but they want us to tell them exactly which field changed. Specifically, he wants to know it the Fire Rating is different.
    As several people mentioned above, we could put a Revision Cloud on the sheet but that's not only labor-intensive and prone to error, but will actually be wrong if the number of lines change.
    As of the Subscription Advantage Pack, we can color-code the field in the Schedule View, but that's not going to help when we print it for the Code official.

I doubt that there's a fix yet, but it the Factory is listening, this is still an issue. And, now that I'm having a problem with it, it should be a top priority!

Used the same system but it is not ideal. Rather than clouds I prefer using a different colour or BOLD text in schedule items revised which is what we used to do, different colour reads clearly and easily, bold maintains this when reproduced in black and white. If the schedule format changes, the "highlight" remains relevant. Disadvantage is that there is no "live" record of old revisions (excuse the contradiction in terms) Eitherway this is not possible with Revit schedules but may be worth considdering as opposed to clouds. My problem with clouds on schedules are that they obscure to much other important information.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by twiceroadsfool View Post
    Yup... That was the basis of my wanting some sort of a trach changes dialogue. Revit needs a way of letting us know whever everything has changed, otherwise using a 3D database of intelligent model to produce a set of 2D documents is still somewhere in the middle of driving a hovercraft and riding a horse...
    I fully aggree but how do you see this this work? I can only see it as a placemark of sorts which tracks al changes subsequent to each revision but we are issuing sheets not the whole model.

Revit will therefor need to know which sheets are issued and combine "incidental" changes to other drawings to subsequent revisions for those sheets that weren't issued while not doing so for sheets that were issued.

I think it will be rather complex but I also think the whole issue needs some serious considderation in order to make this an intellegent process and that it must be possible to improve this and that it something which should be prioritized. That said 2010 already showed some significant improvement to the way revision schedules work.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: clouding schedules

The Model Compare feature may help in tracking changes from a previous to current model. If this could somehow tie into the Revisions function, then we may have a very powerful and useful tool.

Perhaps in RAC 2012?

But first, just give us the ability to cloud Schedules!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers........

Login to Give a bone

Bump... It's 2023 and this still seems to be a pretty painful process of tracking changes in Revit schedules. How's everybody doing this now?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123