See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Restoring CUI Defaults

Login to Give a bone

Default Restoring CUI Defaults

I just recently began using Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2006, and was running through the tutorials, when I discovered that this copy's previous user had done quite a bit of CUI tweaking. My question is simple: short of a reinstall, is there any means of restoring CUI defaults? The 'Help' file in ADT was about as 'helpful' as nearly any other 'Help' file I've used, which is to say, not at all. Any help from here would be appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Restoring CUI Defaults

Quote Originally Posted by Maldraugedhen
    I just recently began using Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2006, and was running through the tutorials, when I discovered that this copy's previous user had done quite a bit of CUI tweaking. My question is simple: short of a reinstall, is there any means of restoring CUI defaults? The 'Help' file in ADT was about as 'helpful' as nearly any other 'Help' file I've used, which is to say, not at all. Any help from here would be appreciated.
    Hi, and welcome to AUGI.

There should be a fresh copy in: <Drive>\Program Files\<Product>\UserDataCache\Support that you can copy and replace it with. I would restart Autocad after the copy if you have it open.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the welcome.

Hmm. There appears to be a .dll by a similar name, but no folder named UserDataCache, or any variation on that name with spaces, underscores, or what have you. Any other place I could find it?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Maldraugedhen
    Thanks for the welcome.

Hmm. There appears to be a .dll by a similar name, but no folder named UserDataCache, or any variation on that name with spaces, underscores, or what have you. Any other place I could find it?
    That's the only place I'm aware of.

The previous user could have deleted it I guess. I'm not sure if a repair replaces it, but it might be the next easiest thing to try. Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > select the product and click on Change/Remove, then follow the prompts.

Login to Give a bone

UserDataCache is (I think) hidden (by Windows) by default.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok
    UserDataCache is (I think) hidden (by Windows) by default.
    I don't think it is, but I'm not 100% positive either, so it's a good thought and very well could be.

Just in case: In Explorer, go to the Tools menu and click on Folder Options, then go to the VIew tab. Under Advanced settings, follow the FIles and Folders tree down to Hidden files and folders and make sure it's set to "Show hidden files and folders". If it was hidden, it should show up after that.

I could stop if I wanted to ekubaskie's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by timcreary
    I don't think it is, but I'm not 100% positive either, so it's a good thought and very well could be.

Just in case: In Explorer, go to the Tools menu and click on Folder Options, then go to the VIew tab. Under Advanced settings, follow the FIles and Folders tree down to Hidden files and folders and make sure it's set to "Show hidden files and folders". If it was hidden, it should show up after that.
    UserDataCache IS a hidden folder. Once you find the file, you have to move it to the right place, too:

C:\Documents and Settings\<your userid>\Application Data\Autodesk\<AutoCAD Product>\enu\Support

But that brings up a different question. Are you guys using the same userID on the machine? Using separate IDs will keep your customizations separate.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ekubaskie
    UserDataCache IS a hidden folder. Once you find the file, you have to move it to the right place, too:
    Oooh, don't MOVE it! COPY the files from UserDataCache to your CUI directory, wherever it may be. Try not to change those files in UserDataCache in any way, so you can always get back to the "clean slate" if you need to.

I could stop if I wanted to ekubaskie's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sinc
    Oooh, don't MOVE it! COPY the files from UserDataCache to your CUI directory, wherever it may be. Try not to change those files in UserDataCache in any way, so you can always get back to the "clean slate" if you need to.
    Yup - little glitch in terminology there. You do need to specifically copy and paste (or ctrl-drag) the file so that it copies rather than moves.

Login to Give a bone

Well, it turned out it was a hidden folder--good catch, guys--but the Support folder seemed to have lacked a copy of the main CUI, ADT.cui. It had most of the rest of them, so for now, I'll just copy out his old ones then overwrite the batch Autodesk is actually referring to, then hope that solves most of the issues. Not going to be using Windows' Repair function, because it for some reason causes a system lockup.

As to why we're using the same login, well... let me put it this way: I'm just starting using ADT 2006, he just finished. Luckily, in a 'retirement' sense, and not a 'being fired' sense. So, I got set up at his old work station, and every machine here at this particular firm just has one login, so...

In any case, he won't be concerned as to what happens to his old .CUIs, so I won't be causing any confrontations. I'll see if this does what I need it to, and if it doesn't, I'll check with you guys again.

EDIT: Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have quite restored enough to fix the problem. Would creating a new user ID to access ADT with solve it?
    Last edited by Maldraugedhen; 2007-06-21 at 03:55 PM.