Thread: Converting Max To Rhino?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Converting Max To Rhino?

I'm converting a MAX file into a Rhino file but it seems like the file size might be to big. Does anyone have a good easy way to convert this over into Rhino?

Thanks!

I could stop if I wanted to dellis's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Converting Max To Rhino?

Michael,

Are you exporting an IGES out of MAX? Or are you using 3rd party conversion software?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Actually what I'm trying to do might be alot....I need to convert IGES max file to Rhino. While in Rhino i need to cut 5 feet interval contours and bring it back to MAX. Its not going to be fun. any ideas?>

I could stop if I wanted to dellis's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Do it all in MAX! MAX is perfect for this...in fact i do it all the time for the enginerds here...though they usually want them cut at more frequent intervals.Anyway, heres what you want to do:

1. Go to the create panel and under the shapes tab click the section button and add a section object in the top viewport over your terrain.
    2. Make sure that the object is totally above or below your terrain. (you'll see why in the next step)
    3. Go to a perspective view once you have the section object placed correctly, then go up to the tools drop down and select the array tool. In the preview group, click the preview button so that you can see whats going on.(not completely necessary...but definetly a great feature)
    4. In the incremental part of the array dialogue change the Z value to be 5 feet or what ever the unit equivelent is...then under the array dimensions group, change the 1 dimensional count to however many contours you need cut.
    5. Once you have as many contours as you need, click okay to exit the dialogue.
    6. Now that you have all the section objects you need we have to do a little cleanup.
    7. Select all the cross section objects and either right click them and collapse them to an editable spline or add an edit spline modifier while they are all selected.
    8. Pick the first spline and in the modify panel click the attach multiple and pick the rest of the cross section splines.
    9. Then once they are all attached go into the sub-object vertex mode select all and then weld. This may take awhile if there are alot.
    10. Thats it!

I've probably made it sound harder then it is.....if you have problems, post back and i'll see what i can do about maybe doing a little video tutorial or something.

Login to Give a bone

Also, if you HAVE to do it in Rhino, check out Npower translator plugins first.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM