Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AEC Contours

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AEC Contours

Quote Originally Posted by jpaulsen
    A lot of the situations you described above (offset contours, basin design, etc.) are design situations. In these cases I do use polylines. But the polylines are then used as contour data to build a surface. We typically only use AEC contours that are generated from an LDT surface.

Are your designers creating surfaces? It almost sounds like they are just drawing contours (polylines) to look good on the plans.
    Exactly. As long as they look good that is all that matters. We do not create surfaces another one of my disagreements. We only create road surfaces.

I believe I am the only one that knows how to do a proper earthwork analysis cause I have never seen anyone else do one.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dfarris75
    What on earth are they modifying contours for in the first place? And calculating areas? I'm a little confused at what their primary aim is.
    It appears that they have an elementary understanding of the software and its capabilities.
    I want to thank you. The whole time I have been saying, what am I doing wrong. Am I missing something. But it is actually me who knows what is going on. Thank you for getting my head back on straight.

Elementray is and understatement. All I keep hearing is that we will be updateing to civil 3d soon. If they dont understand this how are they going to understand that.

I could stop if I wanted to dfarris75's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

If I were in your shoes I would familiarize myself with their process and then show them how to do it properly and efficiently with the software. If you can get them to see the true value of the program it will make the road ahead much easier.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

I'm having a lot of problems with AEC contours at my office. For instance, AEC contours will show on a specific drawing but won't show on another drawing. or will show on a drawing and will not show if that same drawing is xrefed. I've already opened 2 sessions of LDD, One with a drawing where AEC contours can be seen and manipulated, and another where AEC contours are not visible. I checked every preference or option to see if they match and I think everything matched. So I'm not quite sure what the problem is. Anyoone had that problem before?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12