Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I definitely need this.

6 66.67%
  • This would be useful.

1 11.11%
  • Nice idea, but I would not use it.

1 11.11%
  • No, this is not needed, please work on another feature.

1 11.11%
  • This can already be done.

0 0%

Thread: Fabrication Interface

Login to Give a bone

Default Fabrication Interface

Like the one in CAD-Duct.

ACA/AMEP Community Chair stelthorst's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Fabrication Interface

How does CaDDuct fabrication interference differ from AMEP interference checking?
    Scott Telthorst
    Quality Control Manager
    Helix Electric, Inc.
    www.helixelectric.com

Some see the glass as half full, others as half empty. As an engineer I see the glass as twice as big as it needs to be. ~Unknown~

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by stelthorst
    How does CaDDuct fabrication interference differ from AMEP interference checking?
    Let me be a little more clear....

On the fabrication side of the HVAC business there are several tools with CAD-Duct being the most robust package that allow users to take a 3D design and turn it into a spool drawing that can be translated by CNC machines to cut sheet metal.

CAD-Duct does have interference checking but it only checks against other CAD-Duct objects.

Login to Give a bone

autodesk must first consult some fabricators, then completely revamp their duct parts database/catalog to parts actually used. ( seeing that they think this is so easy it would not take much time at all) I would say 75% of the current 2008 parts are worthless to detailer s/fabricators.

We are currently spending thousands in programing to get it more detailer friendly and is why i like the program. all of the Acad third party add ins ( e.g. CAD Pipe, Cad Duct.) you get what you get and are not open for customizing.

ABS OOTB is really a good deal once you think about it. five programs for a few grand and then spend what you would have shelled you to a third party provider on customizing. In my opinion you end up with a better product.

Kind Regards

Rob W

Kind Regards

ACA/AMEP Community Chair stelthorst's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cmorgan.129688
    Let me be a little more clear....

On the fabrication side of the HVAC business there are several tools with CAD-Duct being the most robust package that allow users to take a 3D design and turn it into a spool drawing that can be translated by CNC machines to cut sheet metal.

CAD-Duct does have interference checking but it only checks against other CAD-Duct objects.
    I guess I'll stick to the electrical. I misunderstood your post.

I know several HVAC guys who use CadDuct and FabPipePro for the very reason you describe. I think Autodesk has kind of ignored the needs of people using ABS for the construction side of a project and focused more on the engineering side of projects.

There are several issues I have with the program because I use it in a manner that I don't think the developers anticipated. I think your suggestion is another example of how the program can be improved to help Autodesk users in the construction industry.
    Scott Telthorst
    Quality Control Manager
    Helix Electric, Inc.
    www.helixelectric.com

Some see the glass as half full, others as half empty. As an engineer I see the glass as twice as big as it needs to be. ~Unknown~