Thread: Converting files to the new ACA 2008 format

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Converting files to the new ACA 2008 format

I just doiwnloaded DWG TrueView so I could batch convert all our Design Center files for the new ACA2008. The Help says the following:

"You can choose the file format, several conversion options, and the type of output you want.
    With DWG TrueView, you can convert AutoCAD DWG files between the following data formats:

AutoCAD 2008 (not a format change, but includes new data)
    AutoCAD 2007
    AutoCAD 2004
    AutoCAD 2000
    AutoCAD R14, AutoCAD LT 98, AutoCAD LT 97"

However, I don't see an option for converting to 2008, only 2007. I know it's the same format, but the design center in 2008 still gives me a message that the files need to be saved in 2008, even after I have converted them to 2007 format. Is there an option to convert to 2008? Thanks.

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Converting files to the new ACA 2008 format

Quote Originally Posted by dhallett
    However, I don't see an option for converting to 2008, only 2007. I know it's the same format, but the design center in 2008 still gives me a message that the files need to be saved in 2008, even after I have converted them to 2007 format. Is there an option to convert to 2008? Thanks.
    Since your files are created in ACA (or ADT) then the reason you may be getting this is because DWG TrueView technically is opening/saving these files in AutoCAD format and not ACA format. Notice point #8 in the following link:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...112&id=9078720

8. What happens to custom objects created by Autodesk or third-party add-on applications when 2008-based DWG files are converted using DWG TrueView software?

When you create Autodesk or third-party custom objects in AutoCAD DWG files and save your drawing with proxy graphics turned on, you can convert these drawings and maintain visual fidelity of the custom objects. However, you cannot edit the drawing in other releases. To modify custom objects in other releases, explode the custom objects in the drawing before you convert it.

If you want to convert drawings created with AutoCAD® Architecture or AutoCAD® Mechanical software, use the Save to AutoCAD DWG feature before you convert the drawing.

For drawings that contain custom objects, it is recommended that you do not use the DWG TrueView software to convert them to a newer release.

When a drawing that contains custom objects is converted, the custom objects themselves are not converted. Unexpected results might occur if you attempt to open the converted drawing in a custom object application.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Converting files to the new ACA 2008 format

That explains it. Thank you.