Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Centralized Content Browser Library (CBL file)

Login to Give a bone

Default Centralized Content Browser Library (CBL file)

Hello All,

I would like to centralize my Content Browser CBL file and all Content in my Architecture 2008 deployment. I'm having issues getting this accomplished. Autodesk's answer is that the software is functioning as intended and they didn't intend for the content browser to look to a common shared network location. I can create this CBL file and I have no problem opening it after I have launched the Content Browser, but my users will never go thru the trouble to open a separate Library.

In the Deployment Wizard there is a check box to "Modify Content Browser Library File Location", but this does not work the way I thought it would work...It doesn't seem to work at all.

So My question is does anyone know how to change the CBL file that the Content Browser looks to when it is first launched?
    Maybe we could make a custom button that ran a handy little chunk of code that accomplishes this... Maybe there is a registry key that if changed would re-point the content browser... A System Variable would be awesome.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Jason

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Centralized Content Browser Library (CBL file)

Hi Jason

Please note I have *moved* this thread from the AutoCAD Customization forum to this one, as I believe it will be better served here.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Manager

Login to Give a bone

I wish I could give you a quick 2 cent answer, but I can't. I know it's possible and works very well. We have it set up that way here. In fact, not only can you get all your content from one place, you can even add content to it if you so choose. I can get content from the network, modify a pallet if I like and save it back to the network. Then it's available to the rest of the staff. I'm not sure on the exact process, but when it's done right, it works great. I guess we got lucky as Paul Aubin came in as a trainer and set it up. That's about all the info I can provide. I'm sure Steve has a cent or 2 to offer up.

Login to Give a bone

There is a way to have a catalog be added to a users library upon installation of ACA. It's been a while since I've looked at how thats done though. Try running a search in the help system and search for "Creating a Catalog Install File". I think that will get you what you are after.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

I know that a Content Library can be added to your Content Browser via a REG file. I have not tied that route yet. I would really rather re-point everyones Content Browser to a network CBL file. It would give me an easier update method.

I would think that a line of code attached to a button would do the trick. Any ideas?

How is everyone else handling this?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by CCDWAE
    I know that a Content Library can be added to your Content Browser via a REG file. I have not tied that route yet. I would really rather re-point everyones Content Browser to a network CBL file. It would give me an easier update method.

I would think that a line of code attached to a button would do the trick. Any ideas?

How is everyone else handling this?
    By leaving the CBL file local and expecting the user to be able to follow simple instructions to load any new catalog that may come along. Pointing everyone to a network CBL file may make life easy for the CAD manager who has to get everyone to open a new catalog, but prevents the users from easily creating a personal catalogs for saving any tool palettes they create. My two cents, as a user who has created many custom tools, palettes and catalogs for my own use and for use by others on my project team.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the reply David.

I agree with you on not wanting to tie users hands when it comes to their ability to create custom tools. My desire is only to re-point the Content Browser to a central network CBL file as the default. This does not prevent users from opening their local CBL file and creating what ever tools and palettes they want.

If I could create a custom button that would launch the content browser and load a network CBL file then I could provide my users with both buttons, one for network content and one for personal content. I could control these buttons via profiles and the enterprise CUI....all kinds of possibilities.

The advanced user who is making tools and tool palettes is not going to have a problem loading a different CBL file. Its the rest of my users who are simply confused by the abundance of options presented to them.

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

I get the impression that we might have terminology mixed up here...

A content browser library file (i.e.: catalog per help system verbage) can be located anywhere, correct? Local/network drive or posted to an html site. If that is the case, then I don't see where the idea of creating an exe to install a content browser library file in the users local registry would not help you out... Can you perhaps clarify so I can better grasp what you mean? Sometimes I'm a little slow after a long day...
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Bennett
    I get the impression that we might have terminology mixed up here...

A content browser library file (i.e.: catalog per help system verbage) can be located anywhere, correct? Local/network drive or posted to an html site. If that is the case, then I don't see where the idea of creating an exe to install a content browser library file in the users local registry would not help you out... Can you perhaps clarify so I can better grasp what you mean? Sometimes I'm a little slow after a long day...
    Not sure what anyone else means by it, but a Catalog Browser Library file is a file that holds the list of catalogs that you have "open" in the Content Browser. The default setup is to have just one, and I generally stick with that, but you could have several and switch between them. That might be useful if you grouped your catalogs by task type, or perhaps by project type, in an office that does work in widely varying project types and has very different tools/documentation needs for the different types. My CBL has enough catalogs to spill over onto a second page - and of course the most recent are on page 2 (still using 2004; no ability to sort).

At one point I experimented with setting up a separate CBL, but if I recall correctly, the Content Browser always opened with the "default" CBL, even if closed with a different one open. That fact discouraged me from pursuing that farther.

Catalogs can be anywhere, but I can see a CAD manager not wanting to rely on the users bothering to load up the office standard catalog(s). I still would not be enthusiastic about a forced central CBL as the default, and having to open another to store any personal creations, but I suppose that could work if most coworkers were unwilling/unable to open a new catalog when informed it was available.

Login to Give a bone

David, you hit the nail on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by dkoch
    At one point I experimented with setting up a separate CBL, but if I recall correctly, the Content Browser always opened with the "default" CBL, even if closed with a different one open. That fact discouraged me from pursuing that farther.
    I can see many reasons why someone would want to or not want to force end users to a specific CBL file as the default. The question still stands...Is it possible?

For now I think my best choice is to try to automate the addition of our company catalogs via a .REG file to everyones local Content Library. This is an OK solution, but not ideal for a highly managed environment of engineers who are more or less "casual" users of Autodesk's software.

Thanks
    Jas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast