Thread: Network vs Hard Drive

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Question Network vs Hard Drive

Hello,

Currently the office set up for support file search paths (under options) is to look at the network drive, then the hard drive.
    It was suggested to me to only have the search path look at the network drive, to ensure everyone sees and has the same information, etc.

I tested it and found missing fonts; I noticed the network font folder had significantly less fonts than the hard drive did. (Don't know if there's other information different, I'm sure there would be)

So I'm wondering if it's supposed to be that way, where the hard drive has the out of the box AutoCAD stuff, and the network doesn't and is for office standard stuff. It didn't seem right to me, for the hard drive to have more fonts than the network.

Thank you

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Network vs Hard Drive

Well, depending on the network speed and server capability, it would be possible. On a gigabyte local net, fully switched, with not that many concurrent access to the server response time could be OK. Lots of users, server problem, cable crosstalk, switch problems, or 10/100 networks will slow down a lot. The more complex the system, the more chances for problems.

Best bet is typically to put _only_ the mandatory stuff on the net, and fall back to local for everything else, especially the OOTB support and font files. A local hard drive is_ALWAYS_ a lot faster than network.

If you're seeing more local font files than remote, the most reasonable explanation is that additional fonts have been added to the machine, or whoever stocked the network folder didn't grab everything. If you want people to not use the extra fonts, then take them off the computer and archive them someplace. Don't slow everyone down by forcing them to the network for everything.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Network vs Hard Drive

Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadtag
    Well, depending on the network speed and server capability, it would be possible. On a gigabyte local net, fully switched, with not that many concurrent access to the server response time could be OK. Lots of users, server problem, cable crosstalk, switch problems, or 10/100 networks will slow down a lot. The more complex the system, the more chances for problems.
    Speed isn't an issue, we're doing good on that.

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag
    If you're seeing more local font files than remote, the most reasonable explanation is that additional fonts have been added to the machine, or whoever stocked the network folder didn't grab everything. If you want people to not use the extra fonts, then take them off the computer and archive them someplace. Don't slow everyone down by forcing them to the network for everything.
    I think IT may not have grabbed everything, that explanation makes more sense.

I appreciate your response, I'll keep it as is, no point in changing it, I'll create problems we don't have. I just needed to understand a little better, you've helped me there.

Thank you!