View Poll Results: Would this be a usefull improvement?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this would be usefull.

9 69.23%
  • No, it would not help.

1 7.69%
  • I am apathetic about this.

3 23.08%

Thread: Pressing and holding the shift, ctrl and alt keys during commands

I could stop if I wanted to rmejia's Avatar

Default Pressing and holding the shift, ctrl and alt keys during commands

During a command like trim, which has 3 different options to choose from, rather than going up to click on each one individually, if one could press the alt key and leave it pressed to perform the second function or leave the ctrl key pressed to perform the third function it would be more efficient. When the key is released it would go back to the first function. The shift key and space bar could also be pressed to preform functions on commands that have various like the dimension command to switch between the different dimension styles quickly (linear, angular, etc..). On the wall command it could be used to switch between pick lines and pick faces. It could be used in most commands to add flexibility and speed in the ways to choose the different options in the program.

Default Re: Pressing and holding the shift, ctrl and alt keys during commands

I agree there should definitely be shortcuts to access those options. I am not sure if i completely like the CTRL and alt key system. I do use this system for the copy option on the trim, move, mirror and copy commands, however it is somewhat counterintuitive because sometimes holding the CTRL key means turning the copy option on, sometimes off. Therefore i still have to check visually for the check mark and it is also harder to get this ingrained in the subconscious. Also i think having to hold down a key while doing an action is generally not a very good approach.

I wonder if it wouldn't be better and also fit nicely into revit UI if i could flip through the options by hitting the tab key (as long as i don't hover over an object). With the trim command i get the visual feedback right at the cursor, so i could completely neglect the options bar. This function might collide with the other tab key functions, so maybe a different key (e.g. space bar) could be used.
    Regards, Michael Hasse

RAC2008 Swiss German, Dell Dimension 8300, Pentium IV 3.20 GHz, 2.00 GB RAM

I could stop if I wanted to rmejia's Avatar

Default Re: Pressing and holding the shift, ctrl and alt keys during commands

Quote Originally Posted by comhasse
    Also i think having to hold down a key while doing an action is generally not a very good approach.
    I initially would have thought this too, but after using Adobe products like Illustrator and Photoshop which have shortcut keys for practically everything I got used to the idea. Holding down one or more keys while doing an action is how many of the commands in those programs work.

Holding down the shift key and the mouse scroll wheels is one of my most used commands.

Maybe there could be a key as you say to cycle back and forth through the commands (Adobe programs use the "[" and "]" keys for that). The idea is to provide a way to interact with the program using the keyboard more often, rather than solely relying on the mouse. It seems that 85% of the program is run by moving the mouse around. My other hand is just laying over the keyboard doing very little or nothing. I don't know how hard it would be for the factory to add more default shortcut keys to the program. Right now it seems that all I can do to customize the program is turn on or off the text labels in the Toolbars (or get into the KeyboardShortcuts.txt).
    Last edited by rmejia; 2007-08-02 at 06:11 PM.