Thread: Multiline attributes and c3d

Login to Give a bone

Default Multiline attributes and c3d

Has anyone used/created a multiline attribute in c3d that worked? When i create one, it acts line an old style attributed block in C3d, but if inserted into a vanilla Acad session, it behaves as a multi-line block is expected to.
    Real pirates wear silk suits & ties, and write EULAs
    The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government, is big business.

Toward a Sustainable Water Future: Visions for 2050 http://ascelibrary.org/doi/book/10.1061/9780784412077

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Multiline attributes and c3d

Did you try the command attsync. If a block with attributes is already defined in the drawing and you have redefined it, you might just need to run that command.

Command: attsync

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cadter View Post
    Did you try the command attsync. If a block with attributes is already defined in the drawing and you have redefined it, you might just need to run that command.
    So have you gotten them to work in C3D?

From postings by others on Autodesk's site, I got the impression they do not work in C3D 2008, so I never messed with them.

Login to Give a bone

Nope, I've never gotten the multiline attributes to display properly in C3D 2008, even after SP2 came out.

Madcadtr -- this was the only object in a blank drawing, and was reported to Adesk web support. They reproduced the problem, and essentially said 'gee, it doesn't work'. no infor on when a fix would be available.

qa/qc issues? or do the various groups in adesk tend to avoid taking to each other? I've noticed a number of things that maybe could have been resolved with better coordination between the groups, like Map Cleanup tools working on c3d entities?? or a personal pet peeve -- using the term REGION in c3d for something that is completely different from the AutoCAD REGION Object.
    Real pirates wear silk suits & ties, and write EULAs
    The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government, is big business.

Toward a Sustainable Water Future: Visions for 2050 http://ascelibrary.org/doi/book/10.1061/9780784412077

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Same problem here. I'm trying to create block with multiple lines attributes on machine with Civil 3D 2008 SP2 (network license) and am out of any luck - the text comes in single line, nevertheless it looks fine while editting attribute value or block definition. Just like described in this thread.

May be there has come any solution to this? I didn't find anything promising in Autodesk's C3D Services & Support website. I have SP2 and it still doesn't work.

Login to Give a bone

I think it was fixed in C3D 2009. I wanted to use them in our title block. But I think I ran into an issue that, even though the multi-line attributes were fixed, there was no way to control the line breaks when the contents of the attribute were supplied via a Field from the Sheet Set Manager. That was what I really wanted to do. But the multi-line attribute would completely fill up one line before going on to the next. That resulted in multi-line attributes that would have one really long line, then the next line might only have one or two words on it, and it looked terrible. So I gave up on the project, and we continue to use three single-line attributes in our title block.

As for fixes, in general, once a new release of C3D comes out, we get no further updates for the previous release. There are occasional exceptions - we actually got both a SP and a hotfix for C3D 2009 after C3D 2010 came out - but in general, Autodesk doesn't fix things in old releases.