Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attaching Data to Parcels

Login to Give a bone

Question Attaching Data to Parcels

Is there a way to attach information to a parcel from object data that is imported from a shape file and spreadsheet?

I'd like to use the parcel labels since they look so much better and also be able to use a parcel table to show all the information on the property. The map labels look terrible and I have over 4000 parcels to show in the set.

Any thoughts... ideas... solutions... would be appreciated. I am using Civil3D2007.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Attaching Data to Parcels

I don't think so... Object Data is a MAP feature, and unfortunately C3D objects are incompatible with MAP. Joy, joy, joy.

There is a way of adding custom properties to Parcels, but I don't know how you would get the data from the ESRI file into the custom properties...

Login to Give a bone

I did find a way to make the properties parcels... lol... by creating a custom label using the description and pasting the info into the description... too much work.. oh well... maybe a wish list thing? It would be nice to bring in GIS data using a shape file and be able to make parcels that will read the database file. The way it works now could be improved with more options and control over the map annotation labels.

Login to Give a bone

Many people have been asking Autodesk for years now to integrate Map and C3D. It seems silly that they have a program that is incompatible with itself. But so far, Autodesk has made no indication that they plan to fix this issue.

Login to Give a bone

Hey Now!!

It's July 2009, two years have past since the last post here. Did we solve the issue with linking our smart polylines to parcels? I have our entire county imported and want to convert the properties to parcels (not the entire county). I created custom columns in my parcel table for all the extra information I need. For example, Owner, address, deed book n page, Property ID, etc... I did some searching and found this thread and was sad to see i cant do what I want to do. Unless in the past two years something changed??????

I'm using C3D 2009 and have 2010 loaded but not using, yet.

Thanks y'all

Login to Give a bone

I stopped trying to use Parcel UDP's for any reason because I found them too unstable. If you manage to use them successfully, I would love to know if you can pass on any "tricks".

The problem we ran into is that it is possible for the slightest edits to your Parcels to reset parcels. Sometimes it doesn't even require a Parcel edit, and something as simple as dragging a Parcel Segment label to the dragged state could reset Parcels. If your Parcels were originally created with polylines, Parcels all along the entire length of the original polyline can get reset.

It's bad enough fixing Parcel numbering and styles when they reset like this. But when a parcel resets, it also loses all UDP information, and re-entering UDP data quickly became too much for us. So we gave up all attempts to use them until Parcel stability improves. (We're using C3D 2009.)

I don't know if they've improved or not in 2010 - haven't had a chance to explore that.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks sinc...

We can only hope they improve this feature.
    I will definatly post any tricks but for now it looks like I'm giving up on parcels too.

Login to Give a bone

We didn't give up on the Parcels. They're annoying, but they also have benefits. We just gave up on the UDPs.

For a while, we considered just sticking with Map topologies, and ignoring C3D Parcels completely. But while Map topologies have features that C3D Parcels lack, C3D Parcels have features Map topologies lack. All things considered, we decided that C3D Parcels worked better for our purposes.

Login to Give a bone

I'll just comment on a few things, first if you bring the parcels in from a ESRI shp file format you need to think about how it was created to start with, I'm talking the geometry here. Most likely it was not created in a decent cad system and is not to the precision you need for design work. So all you can use would be the attibuttes attached to them, Owner, deedbook page etc. For that info the map annotation tools work great. Also you can convert the shp to SDF which is more forgiving in Civil3D.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by CADiva View Post
    Is there a way to attach information to a parcel from object data that is imported from a shape file and spreadsheet?

I'd like to use the parcel labels since they look so much better and also be able to use a parcel table to show all the information on the property. The map labels look terrible and I have over 4000 parcels to show in the set.

Any thoughts... ideas... solutions... would be appreciated. I am using Civil3D2007.
    I guess i'm confused with the reason why you would even want to do this. Whats the point? GIS data or parcel data your downloading from the county or whatever isn't accurate enough to use for design work. It's not like you can create an accurate design map or subdivision map with it so why would you need to create parcels out of them. This data is used for graphical purposes. Creating parcels from them to do what? Parcels although a pain in the butt are nice because they auto-update and help productivity as in updating labels when things change. Updating your closure calcs etc. How would creating a Parcel out of GIS data be benificial?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast