Thread: "Class not registered"..?

Login to Give a bone

Default "Class not registered"..?

Awhile ago when I installed Acrud 2008 Architecture, I had it also create a Vanilla version to avoid a lot of problems with the other in-DUH-viduals. Both ran fine once I did that.

Now, today I get an error message in Arch:

"Unable to execute the tool. Class not registered" if I try and use a wall, window, door or ANYTHING from the tool palettes. If I use the design pull-down and choose anything, it goes "FATAL ERROR" on me.

What happened and do I need to repair/install or is there a quick fix I missed?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: "Class not registered"..?

ive had the same error pop up on a few computers here with 2008. a repair install will fix the issue, but i have no idea why it pops up in the first place.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks... after watching the topic sink for a few days and no responses, I did just that. Seems to have fixed it, but I still would like to have some idea why it went south in the first place.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rgorman
    Thanks... after watching the topic sink for a few days and no responses, I did just that. Seems to have fixed it, but I still would like to have some idea why it went south in the first place.
    i was out of the office last week

id like to know why it happens too. hopefully the SP will fix those sorts of things.

Login to Give a bone

That's the proper fix. The problem can occur when you install another acad product, usually a lower version, or use a registry cleaner.
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Jobe
    That's the proper fix. The problem can occur when you install another acad product, usually a lower version, or use a registry cleaner.
    does this occur if a lower version is already installed? none of the machines here have a registry cleaner, and all have 2007 previously installed.

Login to Give a bone

Same question...

No registry cleaner was used, 2007 already installed. During Arch2008 install, created a Vanilla 2008 alongside. Both Arch and Vanilla worked fine up until I noticed the problem after not accessing for a couple of weeks. No problems with the Vanilla co-install.

Login to Give a bone

It sounds like it may be related to the "Autocad Sabotage" directory.

Autodesk products install a bunch of stuff in a shared directory in Program Files/Common Files on your hard drive. This includes a bunch of type library files, which are used to register various system components. Unfortunately, this directory is not just shared amongst products, it is also shared by products of different versions. In other words, both the 2007 and 2008 versions attempt to install stuff in this directory. So unpredictable things happen when installing multiple Autodesk products from different years.

There are a whole slew of problems that arise because of this error. Generally, the most-recent version you install will work fine, but there may be all kinds of strangeness that arises. For example, if you attempt to compile a .NET DLL for 2007 after installing 2008 on your system, you may find that the resulting DLL will only work on systems that have both 2007 and 2008 installed.