Thread: 1st time network installation

Login to Give a bone

Cool 1st time network installation

OK, here is the deal...I have taken over as the cad manager for the company I work for. We are getting ready to make the transition to Civil 3d 2008. This will be the first time that I have installed a network based version of Autocad. Does anybody have any advice on what the best way to do this is? Any advice is appreciated and welcome.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 1st time network installation

Quote Originally Posted by seven_tech
    OK, here is the deal...I have taken over as the cad manager for the company I work for. We are getting ready to make the transition to Civil 3d 2008. This will be the first time that I have installed a network based version of Autocad. Does anybody have any advice on what the best way to do this is? Any advice is appreciated and welcome.
    This AU handout may be worth a read.

Login to Give a bone

Also this one.
    http://www.augi.com/education/auhandouts/2005/AU-CM22-1(USA,2005).zip

There is a prequel to that one called Networking A to Z, but I don't see a link for it.
    You should be able to find both on the AU site.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Here is the handout from the hands-on lab. I don't have the handout for the class itself. I hope this helps.

You should be entitled to an Autodesk publication for free with your license subscription. Look for the one titled "Network Administration Guide". It's not the most fascinating read but it'll get you the info you need.

Also try www.autodeskbookrequest.com. The documentation on the installation disc should be of use as well.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by seven_tech
    If it's not too much too ask I wouldn't mind a little feedback in how you are getting on with network installs. Currently we do stand alone (for no particular reason) I just wondered thats all.

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Network installs are very simple in most cases. They work out nice if you don't want to have to go from computer to computer carrying your CD and entering information. It provides one installation image in a central location with all the needed information already input. Then its simply a matter of going from computer to computer clicking on a single link and waiting for the programs to install. Technically if you set it up with the appropriate script you could have the deployment launch without even going to each machine. Also these installs can be done at the same time as the only limit will be the bandwidth of your network.

I highly recommend network installs if you have more than a handful of machines. In my position I've done dozens of them... seen several go not so well... but all in all they are typically painless or have fairly simple solutions if problems occur should you take the time to logic them out.