See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

View Poll Results: Add Option for Different Hatches on Opposite Sides of Same Wall Component

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I definitely need this.

4 40.00%
  • This would be useful.

5 50.00%
  • Nice idea, but I would not use it.

0 0%
  • No, this is not needed, please work on another feature.

0 0%
  • This can already be done.

1 10.00%

Thread: Wall surface hatching

Login to Give a bone

Default Wall surface hatching

It would be nice to assign different hatch patterns to each side of a wall. For instance, if you have a split face block wall with a parapet, then you could use the split face hatch for the front of the wall, and a smooth face hatch for the rear (since split face is only on one side of the block). As it is now, you have 2 options.
    1. Use material boundry and erase the hatch in elevation, then re-hatch it, or
    2. Use 2 separate wall components for the front and the rear, which would make your sections show 2 wall components.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Wall surface hatching

That functionality is all already available via the display properties. You can choose which faces use which hatches and can separately assign different hatches for sectioned views or elevations.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by libbybapa View Post
    That functionality is all already available via the display properties. You can choose which faces use which hatches and can separately assign different hatches for sectioned views or elevations.
    Can you post an example of a wall with a single component (i.e.: stud only - no other materials) that has one face showing a hatch for gyp and the other side showing a hatch for wood?
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

Nope. I can, however show a wall with 6 components such that a different hatch displays on each separate face. A 7th hatch displays in plan view. An 8th hatch displays for the section and only one component is displayed in either plan or sections. You can only assign a single surface hatch pattern per material, but adding additional components that reside in the same space does not mean that the additional components will display in any views unless you want them to display there and turn them on in that display. That seems to me to go well beyond covering the display criteria asked for. It seems to me that you can already make a custom wall tool style to display pretty much however you want. File attached. Cheers.

Andrew
    Last edited by libbybapa; 2007-10-17 at 02:01 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Oh, I also thought I'd mention that with many objects you can select the object, right click and select "materials">"Surface hatch overrides". There you remove a specific hatch face globally or as an object override. You can also rotate the hatch or change it's xy offset.

Andrew

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Hi Andrew,

thanks for your last couple of posts, I wasn't aware that was possible. I am still struggling to see how you have created it though. Where did you assign which face has which material, or did you edit the faces by right clicking and picking surface hatch overrides, then copy and assigned wall style to a new wall style?

I don't know, as I said I'm struggling to how/why it works the way it does in your file

Login to Give a bone

I didn't use any hatch over-rides in the above drawing. I created 6 components all of the same dimension and assigned each a new and different material. The "shrinkwrap" component remained as "standard" material. If you go to the display properties for the wall style itself, you will notice that everything s set for "by material". If you go to each individual material under layer/color/linetype tab you'll see that the surface hatch is on for every component. Under the hatching tab the surface hatch is a different color and pattern for each component. The plan hatch is off for every component except unnamed6 as is section hatch. Therefore, unnamed6 will give the determine the section and plan hatches according to the setting in hatches. When you then move to the "other" tab of each materials display properties and look at the surface hatch placement checkboxes you will find that unnamed1 is only checked in the "top" box. Unnamed2 is only checked in "bottom". Etc, etc. Looking back on it, I was kindof sloppy (really should have turned off all of the 2d section elevation linework and 3d body bulbs except one), but I was only trying to make a point and not create a real wall style. Certainly the display properties heirarchy is highly complex, but that complexity allows for a lot of display customization ability. Hope that helps.

Andrew

Login to Give a bone

I think though that what is implied by the OP is that we would like the ability to have one material applied to one face of a wall and a different material applied to another face of the wall using only one component. This would be similar to a multi sub-object material in 3ds MAX being applied to an object in that program. In fact, for a door with more than 2 materials applied to it in ACA when brought into MAX it converts to a multi sub-object material. It is a simpler way of managing the material from my point of view...

Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

Yes, I understand what the original poster was getting at, but the original difficulty presented was the inability to assign different surface hatches to different surfaces without having the added components visible in sections. He wanted split-face hatch on one side and smooth face on the rear without added work in the elevations or two components showing in the sections. I showed how to do exactly that. It is very easy to turn the individual components off in sections/plan/model and so the criteria is more than met. You can have a wall component which is only visible as a surface hatch of a single side of a wall and whose all other aspects are entirely invisible in every other possible view. What is the actual functional difference between adding another component which is only visible as a hatch pattern (and not visible in any other way) and having the ability to add different hatch patterns to different sides of an object? Functionally, they would be EXACTLY the same. Rather than having Autodesk focus on adding a whole lot of extra code, extra windows, and extra check boxes to be able to do what already can easily and fully functionally be done, I'd rather have door and window trim or the ability to have varied overhangs for the various roof components or railings that can go around stairs properly or etc or etc or etc.

On the other hand I can see and would have a use for the ability to use the hatch-override to assign a different hatch pattern (or material definition/render map) to ANY face of ANY object, but I wouldn't make it a part of the object style, but rather a global ability for any face.

Andrew
    Last edited by libbybapa; 2007-11-26 at 04:41 AM.