Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Autodesk Civil 3d 2008 Service Pack 1

I could stop if I wanted to ekubaskie's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Autodesk Civil 3d 2008 Service Pack 1

That will likely be SP2 for C3D. They can't really work on testing out the vanilla SP1's effects on C3D until it goes final.

Wasn't it SP3 for C3D last year before we got the vanilla SP1 included?

All AUGI, all the time Capt. Computer Crasher's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I think so, but there were also problems with 2007 sp3. Logically thinking I would address problems with vanilla CAD first then service the products that use the vanilla as a base, since the vanilla problems affect all Autodesk products. We still use AutoCAD commands. Does that not make sense? In the mean time, I still have to deal with the problem while vanilla cad users have it solved.
    Last edited by Capt. Computer Crasher; 2007-09-20 at 06:05 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to ekubaskie's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Ha! To paraphrase the old cliche: That's why we pay the big bucks.

The deskers simply can't release a vanilla SP immediately for the verticals. There are bound to be incompatibilities they have to work around.

I'd call that part of the problem, though. It forces the verticals to work around the problems, rather than working it out all together. Some problems may be much easier to fix in the vanilla SP than in the vertical, but the process doesn't allow for that.

I could stop if I wanted to Hammer.John.J's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

thats why we are still not using C3D and waiting until service pack 1500 for 08 before we get into this chaos.

subscription is aggrevating, instead of 8 service packs, they do 3 and by the time they fix the previous release, there is a new garbage one waiting for another 3 service packs.... i mean was ldt really THAT bad??? that rhetorical and off topic, but not totally off topic.

All AUGI, all the time brian.hailey933139's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I hate to say it but if you wait until all the bugs are fixed, you'll never use the software. A little analogy that I hope you'll relate to (looks like you have a pretty nice truck). Would you still drive that beat up old S-10 with 200,000 miles on it because your automatic dimmer isn't working in your rearview mirror in your brand new truck? Ok, that may be a bit of a stretch buy you get the idea.

Login to Give a bone

The goal is to have no service packs. Service pack 1 did not have the SP1 for core acad rolled into it. Sp2 for C3D will have the core SP1 rolled into it. (It will be available soon) Civil subscription includes the LDT Companion products and C3D yearly releases, including e-support.

Bruce Adams
    AEC Civil QA
    Autodesk

Login to Give a bone

One analogy to another...

would you buy a brand new ferrari if you KNEW it came with a leaking head gasket and they weren't going to recall it. Instead, next year they will fix it with a new model but the head gasket is different, unfortunately in the new model there are 3 recalls that you KNOW are going to come, because they fixed the head gasket and broke 3 valve springs, a pushrod, and misaligned the cam gear to the timing chain..... thankfully that next model has an extra cup holder and auto dimming rear view mirror.

All AUGI, all the time brian.hailey933139's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Back to the classic civil engineer vs. landscape architect.

would you buy a brand new ferrari if you KNEW it came with a leaking head gasket and they weren't going to recall it.
    Well, does the leaking head gasket keep the ferrari from going faster than whatever it is you have now? And are there ways of dealing with the leaking head gasket that will allow you to accompish the tasks you have? (Sorry, I'm not much of a car guy).

I suppose what you have to decide is this: Are the tools that are available now going to benefit your current workflow and if they are, will they benefit it enough to counter the cost of the software, training, and setup. If the answer is yes, you would be a fool not to use the new software. If the answer is no, you would be a fool to use the new software.

Back to our analogy: if your job required you to get around the race track the fastest, would you go with the mint condition <insert average car name here> or the <insert super duper sports car name here> that could really use some improvement.

p.s. I like to kid around so please don't take anything personally.

Login to Give a bone

If I knew that when i put my ferrari in a race, and it would blow up and not finish, I'd rather race with a bicycle and win.

if we had started with Civil 3D in 2006, would we have any real advantage and cost savings over starting in 2009? Well, look at all the stability issues and problems with it, compare it to productivity of it's equal and predecessor land desktop, and that is a no contest.

Read around and you'll find that resellers and doing everything they can to push civil 3D because people aren't buying into the hype.

It's good, but it's certainly not refined.

Thankfully there are suckers out there willing to pay to R&D for Autodesk to make the product better for the rest of us.

Take the best user of Civil 3D put them up against the best user of Land Desktop, go head to head on a 700 unit 1000acre project and see who comes out ahead......

seriously, Civil 3D has a long ways to go to put anything on the well refined land desktop. problem is, land desktop can't get better, so in the next couple of years this story will be different, because guinee pigs will help autodesk make civil 3D better, but that is no thanks to Autodesk, don't think they aren't making out on your dime. Profit is fine, but right now, it's just out of hand trying to make up for all the R14 criminals of past. ~~thats just my opinion, and hypocritically, here we are trying to move into civil 3D, ironic.

All AUGI, all the time Capt. Computer Crasher's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by 03xtreme View Post
    If I knew that when i put my ferrari in a race, and it would blow up and not finish, I'd rather race with a bicycle and win.

if we had started with Civil 3D in 2006, would we have any real advantage and cost savings over starting in 2009? Well, look at all the stability issues and problems with it, compare it to productivity of it's equal and predecessor land desktop, and that is a no contest.

Read around and you'll find that resellers and doing everything they can to push civil 3D because people aren't buying into the hype.

It's good, but it's certainly not refined.

Thankfully there are suckers out there willing to pay to R&D for Autodesk to make the product better for the rest of us.

Take the best user of Civil 3D put them up against the best user of Land Desktop, go head to head on a 700 unit 1000acre project and see who comes out ahead......

seriously, Civil 3D has a long ways to go to put anything on the well refined land desktop. problem is, land desktop can't get better, so in the next couple of years this story will be different, because guinee pigs will help autodesk make civil 3D better, but that is no thanks to Autodesk, don't think they aren't making out on your dime. Profit is fine, but right now, it's just out of hand trying to make up for all the R14 criminals of past. ~~thats just my opinion, and hypocritically, here we are trying to move into civil 3D, ironic.
    I can see you are a Landscape Architect,so why would you really need to use C3D? This software is for grading and drainage design not placing trees and shrubs. If you are using it, that is like using a 9 CY bucket on a backhoe to dig a posthole, major overkill.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast