Thread: C3D Public Service Announcement

I could stop if I wanted to dfarris75's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default C3D Public Service Announcement

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: C3D Public Service Announcement

I don't get it...

This program saves a copy of your file to a new location, if I've read it right. So if C3D corrupts your file when you save it (something I've never seen BTW) then you just have two corrupted files in different locations. The .BAK still has your previous save, and the .SV$ still has your last autosave.

Apologies if I missed something.

Stephen

I could stop if I wanted to dfarris75's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

It wouldn't corrupt the secondary file because it has a different name. I guess his .bak files were becoming corrupted as well...? I dunno. I thought it was a handy tool to have nonetheless.

Login to Give a bone

I don't think this is much of a problem anymore. The file corruption issue was big until 2007 SP1a, I believe. I can't remember the exact circumstances, but it was possible to lose the .BAK file, too, so that wasn't a reliable solution. The "save as", using a different file name, was a way around this issue.

There was also a problem, at least until 2008, where having Autosave on would sometimes cause fatal errors if you were working on parcels when the Autosave hit. The program would also sometimes get locked into a "command is active" loop that could sometimes be broken by typing "_save" (with the leading underscore), sometimes not. So a lot of people disabled Autosave. I'm on 2008 now, but I still have Autosave disabled in C3D out of force-of-habit, so I don't know if this issue has been fixed in 2008 or not. In any case, it is very easy to lose the .SV$ file, so I tend to not trust those things anyway.

But yeah, I don't think this program is necessary anymore. At least, I haven't been doing multiple saves since I started using 2007 SP3, and have hit no problems yet.