Thread: Anyone using STBs for Civil3D

Login to Give a bone

Default Anyone using STBs for Civil3D

I'm new to Civil3D and I was confused by the fact that Autodesk includes CTB and STB versions of all standard templates for Architecture, MEP and AutoCAD, but not for Civil3D. My company standard is STBs and I would like to convert the Extended template to STB. Has anyone else done this? Is anyone using STB based drawings with Civil3D?

Thanks

I could stop if I wanted to ekubaskie's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Anyone using STBs for Civil3D

I took our standard STB-based title-block template and explode-inserted the CTB-based C3D template. Since most all of the plot styles are actually set to BYLAYER or BYBLOCK, it works out just fine. All you need to do for most object types is edit the layer properties.

Login to Give a bone

The ByBlock option typically does not work for Plot Styles. If you use ByLayer for Plot Styles, then things are generally OK.

The big issue is the leader for labels in the dragged state. The crux of the problem seems to be that when Plot Style is set to ByBlock, it uses the layer of the overall containing object, and not the layer of the label. For example, a Parcel label may be placed on a particular layer in the label style, but if the overall Parcel is on Layer 0, then the label leader will use the Plot Style assigned to Layer 0. Everything else comes from the Label Layer, it's just the plot style that doesn't.

There also appear to be similar issues with Plot/NoPlot settings - for example, things do not work as expected if you use Autocad Custom Markers in Point Styles. If you define a custom block and use that for the marker in the Point Style, everything is fine - it's just those Autocad Custom Markers that cause problems. So we don't use them - we define blocks for all our point markers.

I could stop if I wanted to ekubaskie's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I've always hated BYBLOCK anyway, and set everything I can to BYLAYER, or an explicit value if I have to. Things work better with the new viewport overrides for layer settings that way anyhow.