Thread: Detail Lines are model elements, how about annotation elements?

I could stop if I wanted to scowsert's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Detail Lines are model elements, how about annotation elements?

I'd like to draw lines that are annotation lines instead of model lines (detail lines).

Right now when I create a dependent view some of my annotation (detail lines) end abruptly when I'd like for them to show through. I figure that if I can make them an annotation line (some how) then they would show up.

Can I do that?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Detail Lines are model elements, how about annotation elements?

I am not sure if this is what you mean, but one of the things it took me a while to realise with model lines in Revit is that they are created on levels.

Thus they are easily covered up by any objects added to that level.

To move them off the level you can create a reference plane, select the line(s) and then choose Edit Work Plane from the dynamic toolbar at the top of the screen.
    If you have not named the new reference plane you can choose 'Pick a plane' and then click on the reference plane in elevation or section and the model lines will move to that level. This can bring them back into view in Plan if they were being covered up by say, furniture.

I do not think you can convert model lines to drafting lines.

Overall I think it is easier to just remember to use drafting lines rather than model lines even though they will only appear in the View they were created in.

I could stop if I wanted to nole's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Hi there!
    Detail lines are view dependent and You can find them at the Drafting design bar. You can see them only in that view where You created them.
    Model lines are different, they are part of the model indeed and they can be seen in all views.
    If You try those Detail lines You can find them lying above geometry.
    Last edited by nole; 2007-07-29 at 06:25 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Even though detail lines are view specific, they are still assumed to represent model elements. In fact, when a lineweight is assigned to them, the plot thickness will change according to view scale, just like modeling elements. This kinda threw me off at first because I assumed it would be plotted with the Annotation lineweight settings. I was assuming that detail lines were really annotation elements. I can see some value in the arguments that developers make regarding this issue, but I still occasionally have a need for an annotative line (that plots the same at any scale) and that I can place outside of the crop region.

I could stop if I wanted to scowsert's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I've attached an example of my issue below. Perhaps I'm just missing something after all I am still fairly new to all of this.

So in the view I want to draw a box around the note specified. So I grab my detail lines and draw a box, only... It doesn't show up. The reason it doesn't is because the view is cropped. If I now drag the crop to the right they will now show up. That now opens me up to displaying more model then I want to show. If I could draw on top of the cropped region I'd be golden.

Perhaps I missed a setting? Am I going about this right?

Thanks for the help I appreciate it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Angry Re: Detail Lines are model elements, how about annotation elements?

That's exactly one scenario that fits my argument in my previous post and I've come across that several times. The only possible workaround is to open up your crop region and then use a filled region with a white solid pattern (or I guess you could use a masking region now) to obscure what you don't want to see and provide a "window" around your text (use invisible lines at the outer edges and thick lines in the "window" around the text). Another ugly option is to create generic annotation families for the text you want to box in.

This is a case where an annotative line is necessary and could be cropped with the new annotation crop. Although once more, the limitation of rectangular boundaries are quite considerable when it comes to situations like this.