Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Settings for nVidia?

Login to Give a bone

Default Settings for nVidia?

Someone posted a message that said "... Then I read David's post about the tweaking!" Can someone post a link to that message?

New in the Revit forums and we're checking our hardware out. So far, I've seen no difference between Quadro FX 550, FX 3450's, and GeForce 5200 and 5600's. They all drop lines when the model is set to hidden and medium quality when spinning. In an elevation view and panning, they both drop annotation (possibly other things).

Need to find the exact messages that tell you what to tweak in the nVidia control panel.

Thanks,

Tom

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Settings for nVidia?

I guess it was about this post:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=53231

It's really relating to Nvidia settings on a laptop but it might apply to you too. For the problem of dropping lines (I experience that on my laptop too), turn on Overlay Planes. That should solve it.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks David!

I found the message you were referring to. You said after tweaking the settings that it was working flawlessly. Does that mean that lines were no longer dropping out when spinning? What worked better for you.

Also, when you say turn on overlay planes, I've seen other messages refer to this as an unfortunate thing to 'have to do' as a last resort? What is upside or downside re: overlay planes?

Thanks,

Tom

Login to Give a bone

By 'dropping lines' do you mean that the lines just do not appear at all, or that Revit omits them temporarily while panning, rotating the model?

Login to Give a bone

Yes, "Revit omits them temporarily while panning, rotating the model".

Login to Give a bone

Ah - I didn't realise this was a problem - I thought it was a feature? (albeit an annoying one)

Many programmes reduce the number of updating objects when panning or rotating to speed up user interaction.

that said, Revit does not seem to make much use of the hardware acceleration of modern graphics cards - and that could be because the limiting factor is the constant updating which goes on to maintain the 2 way parametric links.

I have read that in the latest versions of Revit the background updating can be suspended temporarily during move and rotate which is probaly why some speed improvements could be seen in RA2008 - the updating then continues when there is a pause.
    But I am guessing that the data updating takes precedence over the graphics.

FWIW I still have no problems with Nvidia Quadro FX1500, 3000 or GO7400 cards and Revit - unless you count the dropping lines as a problem. I would be pleasantly surprised if any Nvidia setting will cure that.

If delving in the Nvida display settings for the FX1500 , the latest 91.85 driver defaults to the new-fangled Nvidia display properties. I prefer changing this back to 'Classic' as that gives you the little question mark in the top right corner which explains what the terms listed in the Advanced Settings box do.
    I can't say I've noticed any settings making any difference at all to the operation of Revit, but routinely I go to
    Advanced Settings->Quadro FX1500 tab->Global Driver Settings/Advanced Settings, and
    disable Stereo,
    enable Overlay Planes (since they are enabled in Revit) and
    disable Vertical sync.

Still doesn't seem to make any difference to performance from defaults.

Login to Give a bone

Most settings referred to in that post where becuase OpenGL was causing Revit to crash constantly. Although some settings reduced the crashing, none of them really worked 100%. I recently reverted to an old driver and my problems were solved. As to Overlay Planes, I have always had them on and am not sure why they're viewed as a negative....I never had problems with them on. On this laptop, they have to be on or the display doesn't work right and things disappear from view even when not spinning the model, panning, etc.

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Ugh! I hate threads like this -- if I had line drops like you guys are talking about, I'd lose my head. Line drops are completely unacceptable IMO.

Login to Give a bone

So, this doesn't happen to your install of Revit then, Wes?

Login to Give a bone

For some reason I've always had that issue with the D820, since RB9.0. I started noticing that things were disappearing and reappearing haphazardly when I pan a view etc. Once I enabled Overlay Planes, the display behaved as expected. In fact I couldn't relate to the issues people had recently with RAC2008 when they had to use Overlay Planes to eliminate the display error messages (and most machines crashed with O.P. enalbled). Mine didn't crash because of that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast