Thread: Evaluating Existing Computers for Revit Use

Login to Give a bone

Default Evaluating Existing Computers for Revit Use

Hi,

We're looking into Revit Architecture 2008 and would like to see what upgrades would be needed. We're using Adt 2005 mostly as plain autocad currently. Projects range in size from small residential to 6 story or more hospitality projects and everything in-between.

Our computers include Dell Dimension Pentium 4's at 3.2 ghz, and generic 3.0 ghz, and Dell Precision 380's Core 2 Duo.

Video cards include nVidia geForce FX 5200 (128 mb ram) and 5600 (256 mb ram); Quadro NVS 64 mb ram, Quadro FX 3450 (256 mb ram), and Quadro Fx 550 (128 mb ram).

We were able to get an approx 30-35 mb revit file to try out. What should we specifically look for after opening the file that would show us that the hardware works or doesn't work? From skimming other messages, I see that if you spin the model and lines drop out is one thing to look for, but does that mean that you need to replace the computer or the graphics card, or do people just live with it and use it that way?

A reseller said to use workstation class video cards, but I saw in another message that there are problems people are having with nVidia workstation class cards. I dropped ATI years ago in AutoCAD after having problems and have used nVidia ever since, now it looks like their performance in Revit is 'iffy' for some, doesn't work for others, and works for some with lots of tweaking.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

I could stop if I wanted to David Haynes's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Evaluating Existing Computers for Revit Use

Quote Originally Posted by tmomeyer

A reseller said to use workstation class video cards, but I saw in another message that there are problems people are having with nVidia workstation class cards. I dropped ATI years ago in AutoCAD after having problems and have used nVidia ever since, now it looks like their performance in Revit is 'iffy' for some, doesn't work for others, and works for some with lots of tweaking.
    Your reseller was suggesting that you did not need to get a 'gamer-class' graphic card. If your graphic card is on the Autodesk Graphic Card Database, that is a good place to start. See URL
    http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...linkID=9240618

Though it is not used for Revit, it is a good starting point.

Also, there are posts here at AUGI about systems to give you further advice.

Hope this helps.