See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Autodesk Vault General Info

Login to Give a bone

Default Autodesk Vault General Info

I would like some general information as to how Vault works. Our company is looking at implementing it, but the owners want to be informed about how it works, etc. I know nothing about the program, but have been told to research it.

Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Autodesk Vault General Info

G'day desiree.ball

Please note I have *moved* this thread from the New Forum Users forum to this one, as I feel this particular forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Cheers, Bill
    Forum Moderator
    Cheers @blads
    Mac Geek | Building Design Suite 2020 | Semi-Retired Building Designer / CAD-BIM Trainer | Autodesk Certified Professional

Login to Give a bone

The question is what industry are you working in? The second is what Autodesk application you're using, and the third question is what are you trying to accomplish with Vault, that is what problem are you trying to solve or goal are your hoping to reach?

And finally, what is the scope of the effort, 1 cad operator? 20 cad users? 5,000 people?

Login to Give a bone

We are an architectural company that is using Architectural Desktop 2007. We will be upgrading to AutoCAD Architecture 2008 soon. We have a second office of two people and we want them to be able to work on files without having people in the main office affect any of the work they are doing. It is difficult for them to work off our main server, it takes a long time to retrieve any files, so we would like for them to be able to "check-out" files and work on them from their own location.

Login to Give a bone

Ok, then I can answer the Vault question.

Dont' touch it!!

Vault may be essential if your're running C3D or Mechanical, but otherwise it's not worth it. There are many better choices to fix your stated problem, from a EDMS (Electronic Document Management System) that actually works fairly well, to a Steelhead appliance from riverbed technologies.

The latter is the quickest way to speed up remote offices connecting to your local server, and takes minimal admin time once it's running. file transfer times drop automagically and dramatically.

For EDMS - which will give you check-in/check-out - you could get Adept from synergis, PaperPlus EDMS from falcon, Meridian or Teamwork from BlueCielo (formerly cyco) Columbus from OASYS, Mclaren, and lot of other choices. All of which are better choices than Vault.

Search the cad management forums for EDMS and you'll probably find other suggestions

Login to Give a bone

What about Vault would not be good for our company? We currently have a subscription that includes Vault and would like to use it if possible, but if you think that it would definitely not work for us I would like to know why.
    Is the Riverbed Steelhead Appliance a VPN router? We currently have a VPN router and still have wait times.

Login to Give a bone

The steelhead appliances are not routers - think of them as cache-ing boxes that sit at either end of a wide area network link. The neat part of the devices is the idea that only the changed bytes are transmitted. It's very efficient technology, and for repeat work will reduce transmission times far below what I ever thought was possible.

As an example, you access a file that contains the phrase 'The quick brown fox ran over the hill', and edit it changing the word 'over' to 'down'. When you update the remote server, only the change bits for 'down' are sent across the wire. The steelhead at the the remote end has kept a binary image of the original file, and know that it only has to send the bits for 'down'. the receiving steelhead gets the binary bits for 'down' and puts them in the file at the local server.

For ACAD files in particular, the changed bytes are only a small portion of the file size. Depending on your ISAVEPERCENT setting, as much as 50 percent of the file may be 'old' information that's just been marked as old but still kept in the file. (that was done to speed up saving to the local hard drive - new edits are just written to the back end of the file instead of re-writing the entire file.)
    Last edited by cadtag; 2007-08-25 at 07:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Login to Give a bone

What about the Vault program? Since we already have it included in our subscription why would it not be a good program to use?

Login to Give a bone

If you use Vault, then the Autosave and drawing recovery portions of Acad are no longer useful. The recovered files are treated as new files, and can't be checked back in to replace the old corrupt file. Vault does not recognize Sheet Set Manager or work with Sheet Sets. As far as I know, there's no substantive integration with Adesk Architecture either, so the Project Navigator in ACA will (probably) not work. If anyone has used Vault successfully with ACAD pleas chime in and correct me!! I don't run ADT, Revit, or ACA. I've yet to find a straightforward way for the Vault administrator to fix check-in/out problems.

Backup and recovery options in Vault are not up to speed, for either the database or the file store. Transparent automated backups are not configurable, Although Vault requires (and will only work with a MS SQL Server back end engine), Vault users are not integrated into the Windows network environment, requiring the administrators and users to maintain s separate login for Vault. If security or confidentiality matter to your business, note that Vault does not have a secure out of the box configuration, and as far as I can tell, can't be made secure due to hardwired passwords.

With a limited number of people, files, and data, you can implement Vault using the freely available SQL Server Express. Once you grow however, you'll need to purchase a MS SQL Server license and CALs for each user who may connect to the Vault. That ramps the out of pocket expense up considerably. And no, I would strongly advise running Vault connections to a shared SQL Server. Unless you're willing to risk all the company financials or whatever else is in SQL on an insecure-by-design backend.

There's no migration path for data or file to move them from Vault to any other EDMS. Vault does not pretend to be enterprise-class, but does not address the need for files and data from the Vault to anywhere else. Even Bentley Projectwise had a way to move projects into a Documentum archive. Vault simply ignore the issues with migration, archiving or long term storage. And the track record to date of Vault compatibility between Vault versions is not encouraging.

CAD Design File EDMS is HARD to do, and _very_ hard to do well. Vault shows all the short comings of EDMS, with little thought put into making it work well. As long as it's a no-cost package that doesn't generate its own revue for Adesk, that's unlikely to change. The ones that do work fairly well, are not free. Adesk tried years ago to do an EDMS for CAD files called Workcenter, and failed to make a go of it.

With all that said, I'm pushing in my own organization for a Vault deployment - simply because there is no other method to share data in Civil 3D.

Login to Give a bone

With all that said....... why DOSE it work for Civil? we are looking to deploy C3D in the next 6 months and am trying to familiarize my self with Vault and C3d. im told it is is a must use for C3d?

HJM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast