See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Autodesk Vault General Info

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Autodesk Vault General Info

For Civil 3D, there's no other reliable way to share data (alignments, surfaces, etc) between C3D drawings. I don't want to duplicate my Existing surface, I just want to display it in other drawings. Vault is the Autodesk path to do that. Datareference the surface, stylize it, and you should be good to go.

Data shortcuts do exist, and may be usable for some, but they are not all that reliable, and cannot be used for points or point groups. Of course, Vault doesn't handle parcels either.... Nothing in the C3D world seems to work as well as it should. Lot's of good functionality in C3D though, and with LDT dying on the vine, little choice. Save early, save often.

Caveat -- Autodesk just released a service pack 1 for the ADMS portion of Vault that broke the Civil 3D installations of Vault. Some serious QA/QC and communication issues there.

Login to Give a bone

sounds like i have some fun work ahead of me......

Thanks
    HJM

All AUGI, all the time Capt. Computer Crasher's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by hmunsell View Post
    With all that said....... why DOSE it work for Civil? we are looking to deploy C3D in the next 6 months and am trying to familiarize my self with Vault and C3d. im told it is is a must use for C3d?

HJM
    It works very well with Civil3D? however it only works with same year version (example 2007 Vault only works with Civil3D2007). Also you can use recovery on the files, but Vault can also recover its own files plus different version of the drawing over weeks or months

Login to Give a bone

Drawing Recovery works now? So if my C3D application crashes while I've got a file checked out, and leaves a corrupted version of the drawing on my hard drive called "bogus_recover.dwg", and i use autoCAD's recover tools, Vault will let me check that back in in lieu of the checked out file?

I'm not sure what you mean by the rest of the post, in paticular:
    ...Vault can also recover its own files plus different version of the drawing over weeks or months...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    Drawing Recovery works now? So if my C3D application crashes while I've got a file checked out, and leaves a corrupted version of the drawing on my hard drive called "bogus_recover.dwg", and i use autoCAD's recover tools, Vault will let me check that back in in lieu of the checked out file?

I'm not sure what you mean by the rest of the post, in paticular:
    ...Vault can also recover its own files plus different version of the drawing over weeks or months...
    We have gone back and pulled an earlier edited drawing from weeks before. Example "Drawing A " was saved and checked in on 9/24/07. you can go into vault and retrieve "Drawing A" that was saved and checked in from 8/28/07.

you can also overwrite drawings of same name. Example: if "Topo A" is put vault and then the surveyor sents an updated version of "Topo A" (correcting some small errors no major changes) a day later. you can check of "Topo A", but then close the file donl't check back in. Then save updated "Topo A" over old "Topo A" then open "Topo A" in Vault save and check back in. Still, one drawing in Vault "Topo A" not "Topo A" and "Topo A-revised"

Login to Give a bone

Our organization is using Vault for AutoCAD Electrical, about 30 users. I recently discovered that anyone with write privilege to check in anything to Vault has the ability to easily erase ALL the versions inside of any created Vault folder, using Vault Explorer. Only all the files have to be checked in in that folder, and no other files can be linked to that folder. This is the normal way we'd set up projects in AutoCAD Electrical. The project file and supporting dwgs in one folder. Simply right clicking that folder in Vault Explorer and selecting 'Delete' does the job! I contacted Autodesk about this issue, and they said they don't intend to do anything about it. This huge hole in their system makes Vault behave little better than a shared folder on a server - except it provides revisions and automatic dwf publishing. Don't be fooled into believing you've gained any additional file security with Vault. In one way, it's much worse than a normal network share. In Vault, in order to do a backup (I do one nightly by batch.), the Vault has to shut down. In a shared folder on the Windows Server, I can go out whenever necessary and backup any new or changed files. That way, if someone inadvertantly deletes something, I can go back to a recent state. In Vault, I can only go back to last night's copy.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Computer Crasher View Post
    We have gone back and pulled an earlier edited drawing from weeks before.
    Ok, I understand that -- equivalent in concept to pulling an earlier version off a backup tape or CD -- but quicker.

But, that's not what I meant by Drawing Recovery. To my thinking, Drawing Recovery is when the tools for recovering corrupt files located under the File|Drawing Utilities|Recover and the Recovery Manager come into play. AFAIK, it's not directly or indirectly integrated into Vault, and putting a recovered file back into Vault to replace a crashed file will take some extra steps, renaming, copying, overwriting. Doable? sure. But extra steps to fake out the system with replacement files should not be needed.

I find it frustrating that the tools that Adesk pushes out simply do not take interoperability into consideration, even with their own software. It's bad enough that that Adesk doesn't even try to work with Projectwise or Documentum, but really inexcusable that Vault dosen't work cleany with the Autodesk drawing recovery tools, or with SheetSet Manager. Or, that the SP1 for ADMS 2008 broke C3D. QA/QC is not something you can just slap on after the fact, it has to be a company culture.
    Last edited by cadtag; 2007-09-26 at 02:40 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    Ok, I understand that -- equivalent in concept to pulling an earlier version off a backup tape or CD -- but quicker.

But, that's not what I meant by Drawing Recovery. To my thinking, Drawing Recovery is when the tools for recovering corrupt files located under the File|Drawing Utilities|Recover and the Recovery Manager come into play. AFAIK, it's not directly or indirectly integrated into Vault, and putting a recovered file back into Vault to replace a crashed file will take some extra steps, renaming, copying, overwriting. I don't have direct experience with
    Yes, you do need a little experience at file manipulation to make that work, but everyone should some of that experience when using any program. 20 years ago, one needed to know DOS just to access a computer and with the creation of Windows that basic computer skill has almost disappeared.

I could stop if I wanted to jgratton's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

We need to keep track of 1000+ drawings that belong to our client that we are temporary custodians of. I envision a vault where the version the client sends us is stored. We may revise it, we may not. But we need to know if we have that drawing and how many different revs of that drawing we have and where they all are, because more than one project my need to revise them with their own revision numbers before they return to the client. It takes too long to search each by filename one at a time and it also would be problematic to launch Autocad with a file management system as we rely heavily on 3rd party software to do this for us. Does vault work with only one folder or any number of filepaths?

Login to Give a bone

AFAIK, You can create any number of vaults, but 'folder access' to vaulted drawings is not possible. Vault controls the drwings and access to them, not the file system

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast