Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple, Multiple Monitors...

Design Visualization Moderator stusic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Multiple, Multiple Monitors...

Okay, maybe I've got too much time on my hands or I need to find a hobby or I simply can't be satiated, but I want to add another monitor to my setup.

The new house leaves me with a huge office and with monitors as cheap as they are, I'm having a hard time staying away...

Currently I have two monitors, side-by-side, which take up the two outputs on my graphics card. How do I add a third? I'm assuming I'll need to add a second card, but how do I extend the desktop to work with the third monitor? How good does the third card need to be? I think I'll just be using it to display static test renders, maybe as the main camera view, allowing me to do actual work work on my other two.

Thanks all!

I could stop if I wanted to dellis's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Multiple, Multiple Monitors...

Phillip,

You have too much time and money! I would go with a bigger monitor(s) rather then another one. Although you could have a movie going on the third so you could have something to do while rendering. How did that job end up turning out....client happy?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dellis
    Phillip,

You have too much time and money! I would go with a bigger monitor(s) rather then another one. Although you could have a movie going on the third so you could have something to do while rendering. How did that job end up turning out....client happy?
    Well, I was thinking about bigger (bigger is better, right?), but the cost for a monitor above 22" skyrockets. I thought that if I add another 22", I'd only go in the hole about $200 (plus a video card), opposed to the $1000-1500 I'd have to drop for a 32" or similar.

I saw a setup in the latest issue of CGW that looked like it would work great: two monitors below for "work", the various views, toolbars, etc., then another, larger one centered atop that had the main (camera) view.

This looks ideal -- I get tired of trying to see what's in the camera while in the 4-viewport mode, but also don't like using Alt+W over and over again to get a larger picture... I could use my second monitor, but, again, I use this one for other various things (3ds, ps, web browsing, email, etc.). And it'd only cost me $400 or so (less than what it would cost me if I sold both of my monitors and bought a single, larger one).

I'm leaning towards this solution, but, as always, I'm up for any insight or suggestions!

The project went great; there was a major hiccup in it that really got to me, but the client didn't notice at all -- he got much more than he was expecting, but it drove me nuts. I'd have liked to have time to do some other things, but the narration that was supposed to be his responsibility got put on me, so much of my project time got eaten up with that... que sera (sp?).

This was also the first time I've done an entire presentation from beginning to end; you name it, I did it on this one: all the meetings, the negotiations, the actual animation, the audio narration, the video editing, the dvd authoring... I'm frigign' tired!

I've already got another render node to use; picked up an old poweredge server for a couple hundred bucks... haven't plugged it in yet since we're in the process of moving, but I'm eagerly anticipating the improved render times

Btw, I've got a little something for ya, just gotta remember to stick it in the mail (I've got some pictures to send another friend from 4 months ago I still haven't sent -- bad Phillip!)...

Login to Give a bone

I just saw that very pic last night as I was reading it at dinner and thought to myself, man thats freakin sweet. But then also thought I might get a neck strain looking up at the 3rd one all the time. IDK, i wish you could try n buy. or just get 2 apple 24" cinema display's side by side...
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Bennett
    <snip>just get 2 apple 24" cinema display's side by side...
    Yeah... a friend of mine has two of the 30"s ($1800 each). It makes me sick. We're not friends anymore.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by stusic
    Yeah... a friend of mine has two of the 30"s ($1800 each). It makes me sick. We're not friends anymore.
    I thot you said monitors were cheap now...

I could stop if I wanted to dellis's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Cry me a river....i still have a19" crt monitor at home, and i have dual 19" ones at work. I have to sit at my desk with a tank top and boxers just to stay cool. I'll be ordering a monster for home soon though....quad core with a tonne of ram and a couple LCD monitors...as big as the wife will let me afford!

Can't wait.....

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Bennett
    I thot you said monitors were cheap now...

Ah, but there's a big asterisk next to that statement:

*as long as they're 22" or under...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dellis
    Cry me a river....i still have a19" crt monitor at home, and i have dual 19" ones at work. I have to sit at my desk with a tank top and boxers just to stay cool. I'll be ordering a monster for home soon though....quad core with a tonne of ram and a couple LCD monitors...as big as the wife will let me afford!

Can't wait.....
    I've got nearly the opposite problem: a 17" at work, and two 22" at home, one Trinitron CRT (off ebay for $60!) and one LCD. Yeah, that CRT gets the room warm; it's great in the winter, not so much in the summer...

Anywho...

So what do I need for another screen? A video card... a great one, or will an okay one do? Does Windows handle more than two without special software?

Login to Give a bone

ah yes, the monitor heaters. i remember those suckers. alls i get is a 17" laptop...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast