See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Siggraph 2007

Login to Give a bone

Talking Siggraph 2007

Wow. What an awesome couple of days I just had. Tuesday and Wednesday I spent at the San Diego Convention center for Siggraph 2007. I'm expecting an NFR of Vray to come in the mail soon due to my discussions at their booth, made lots of industry contacts and gots lots of inspiration from sweet new stuff. Let's see... some highlights:
    • Autodesk booth of course - biggest one there and most relevant to my job.
    • Other big names booths present were Google, ILM/Lucasfilm, Disney/Pixar Animation, Chaos group (vray), softimage, lightwave, sony pictures, Zbrush, Digital Domain, Gnomon, Ballistic publishing, etc.
    • Saw a presentation from ILM on how they did some of the effects on Transformers - my god that was some sick stuff. Most of the effects that ILM did for transformers was all CG with a little live action thrown in to help the realisim. In the scene where bumblebee stands behind a truck and takes the missle shot from star scream, the truck was actually blown up in real life. It was full of Furbies so they said it was raining furbies on fire in downtown LA after they blew that up. Fire marshall didnt like that too much... But Micheal bay didnt like the explosion too much so they added extra debris that were CG. Also, the freeway chase where the autobots and decepticons first go at it was all CG. The road, bridges, plants, vehicals, etc. They said it was just easier to keep everything CG since they were traveling at 60+ MPH in that shot, plus transforming AT speed. The hanger shot with Megatron in the dam - only his legs were built physically - everything above that point was CG. They also talked about how they had to build special components to have the ice breaking off him to behave physically correct.
    • Saw a presentation from lucas arts on how they are doing the facial models for characters in the upcoming game Force Unleashed. They said since they are now one company with ILM, they can collaborate with their R&D and have developed a new way to build models for actors in game. Its a multi-camera system that records multiple passes of the models head and obtains optical, z-depth, bitmaps, etc, and builds a CG head all in about 6 minutes. Just sick.
    Some of the other demos included one from Neoscape at the vray booth demostrating how they used it on a fairly large and complex remodel in Baton Rouge. Another one was similar to the multi-touch system from Microsoft, only instead of a super expensive LCD, it has a table with a projector mounted above. It would be awesome for CD reviews or other collaborative reviews of digital items. It appearently works with all kinds of MS apps.

Eon Reality had a booth which deals in displaying stuff in fully interactive environments. Essentially it has made virtual reality an actual reality.

The future is now. Next years siggraph is in LA on August 11-15. I will be there again and next time I will be attending classes too. This time I only had time for the exhibit floor. Anyone else going to plan on going?
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Design Visualization Moderator stusic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Siggraph 2007

My friend, I am green with envy... Siggraph is higher up than E3 on my "oh-my-god-i-wish-could-go" list... and I'm a huge gaming nerd.

Depending on my workflow situation, I may manage to make it, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Great man, glad you had fun!

<snip>the truck was actually blown up in real life. It was full of Furbies so they said it was raining furbies on fire in downtown LA after they blew that up.</snip>
    That's hilarious... Furby Fireballs... lol

I could stop if I wanted to dellis's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Steve,

I went in 2004 and it was one of the more incredible experiences i've had...related to my profeesion i mean. I had the full conference which kept me extremely busy...i highly recommend it, though the content in some courses will fly over almost everyones head....some really smart people out there.

I got to meet Stephen Regoulas, author of Massive Software(Lord of the Rings Crowds). Really engaging guy, incredibly intelligent. Also got to meet Vlado and the boys from Chaosgroup and many others. I can;t say enough about it...full conference is the way to go though....but as i said....BUSY. I even made time for the after parties and stuff.

I will be going next year for sure...hoping to meet up with some friends whom i haven't seen for a few years. I would have went this year but i'm going to be teaching at AU this year so i figured i would wait.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by stusic
    My friend, I am green with envy... Siggraph is higher up than E3 on my "oh-my-god-i-wish-could-go" list... and I'm a huge gaming nerd.

Depending on my workflow situation, I may manage to make it, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Great man, glad you had fun!
    Considering what you do, you might consider that instead of AU...
    ~ducks~

If it comes down to having to make a choice, thats what i would do and I'm a HUGE fan of AU.
    Quote Originally Posted by stusic
    That's hilarious... Furby Fireballs... lol
    Yeah, I along with others were rollin when he said that.

Other things they showed were some fun they had while on the set. They made fake CD album covers, one was with JAZZ (leaning up against the car when he is first introduced in the movie) titled, playing the blues with Jazz. Another was with Optimus titled "thats how i roll". They also showed a preconceptual rendering of Optimus lips which was more of a joke than anything since it looked like someone made pink lips with MS paint and drew over his actual face. Too much fun. I will make another post with the stats to the models in transformers.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dellis
    Steve,

I went in 2004 and it was one of the more incredible experiences i've had...related to my profeesion i mean. I had the full conference which kept me extremely busy...i highly recommend it, though the content in some courses will fly over almost everyones head....some really smart people out there.

I got to meet Stephen Regoulas, author of Massive Software(Lord of the Rings Crowds). Really engaging guy, incredibly intelligent. Also got to meet Vlado and the boys from Chaosgroup and many others. I can;t say enough about it...full conference is the way to go though....but as i said....BUSY. I even made time for the after parties and stuff.

I will be going next year for sure...hoping to meet up with some friends whom i haven't seen for a few years. I would have went this year but i'm going to be teaching at AU this year so i figured i would wait.
    Thats sweet you meet someone from Massive. They had a, umm, MASSIVE booth this year...

Vray had some cute booth babes too... I wish I could have done after parties, but taking care of my daughter just didn't make it work out.

Login to Give a bone

Well, if either of you go in 2008, be sure to drop me a note. I *might* be able to hook you up with something...

Login to Give a bone

Let me know if you can get through to these photos or not.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4194785...7594138994859/

I could stop if I wanted to dellis's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Steve,

Those were great! Thats one thing i didn't do that i wished i had...take pictures.

Login to Give a bone

Steve, as you said you were going to post the Transformers stats, I was reading... the Transformers stats:

Megatron
    Pieces: 2,411
    Polygons: 433,949
    Rig Nodes: 8,924
    Texture Maps: 1,437
    Total Volume: 10,325 cu. ft.

Optimus Prime
    Pieces: 10,108
    Polygons: 1,830,898
    Rig Nodes: 27,744
    Texture Maps: 2,336
    Total Volume: 5,445 cu. ft.

Bumblebee
    Pieces: 7,608
    Polygons: 1,511,727
    Texture Maps: 8,094
    Total Volume: 1,069 cu. ft.

What single model have you ever seen with over a million and a half polygons?!?! I mean, geez, 8,000 texture maps? Wowza!!

Blows my mind... the models, the time, and the render farm they used...

Login to Give a bone

Great pictures, Steve! (although it doesn't help my jealousy)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast