Thread: How to use the new Annotation Scale feature(s)?

Login to Give a bone

Default How to use the new Annotation Scale feature(s)?

Has anyone tried this annotation thing yet? I received my new 2008 upgrade yesterday and am running it now. I can see where this is useful but can't quite figure out how to control which items receive the scaling. It seems to apply it globally and I want to pick which ones use a certain annotation scale. Is there some way to select a group of dimensions and then select the annotation scale to apply?

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: How to use the new Annotation Scale feature(s)?

I guess if I take the time to look a little closer I'll find the answer! There is a section on the new 2D annotation dashboard for annotation scaling. There are buttons for adding current scale, deleting current scale, and add/delete scales.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to use the new Annotation Scale feature(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by johnd
    I guess if I take the time to look a little closer I'll find the answer! There is a section on the new 2D annotation dashboard for annotation scaling. There are buttons for adding current scale, deleting current scale, and add/delete scales.
    You can set the annotative property to text, mtext, dimensions, leaders, multi-leaders, blocks, attributes, and hatches.

You also have the ability to add the Annotation property to styles. For example, you can add the Annotative property to a dimension style so all of the dimensions created in that style have the annotative property. This style property doesn’t automatically change objects that were already created using the style before the annotative property is applied to it. You can use the new command ANNOUPDATE to select and update the entities you wish to update to the new settings.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by johnd
    Hi

You may also wish to browse the following thread (if you have not already done so)...

Breaking info on AutoCAD 2008

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

I've got to tell you. This annotation scaling is one of the best improvements I've seen to AutoCAD in years. To have the ability to apply various scales to the same dimensions on the same layer and have them update automatically per the viewport scale is AWESOME! I also love that you can adjust the spacing, justification, etc. to each dimension or text object separately. The reason I love this is, obviously, as the size of dimensions and text gets larger you need to adjust the location of these objects in relation to the geometry to keep the correct appearance. Cool!

All AUGI, all the time CADDmanVA's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I'll chime in too saying Annotative Scaling is groundbreaking! I've been using it for just about everything from text to blocks. It did take some getting used to. I figured it out through trial and error after watching the videos in the New Features Workshop. When you set up Annotative text styles, beware of checking the setting to orient text to horizontal though. This can create some very...um...interesting results

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I have just installed AutoCAD 2008 myself and I could get my head around the Annotation Scaling just been on the AutoDesk e-learning and went through one of their exercises it looks like a great tool and not to difficult to learn either.

Login to Give a bone

I LIKE THE IDEA OF ANNOTATIVE SCALED TEXT. HOWEVER, I HAVE RAN INTO SOMETHING I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO SOLVE. I HAVE TO CLOSE OUT MY DWG FILE AND RE-OPEN IT BEFORE THE PROGRAM WILL LET ME EDIT, MOVE, ERASE, ETC. ANNOTATIVE SCALED TEXT IN A DRAWING.

HAVE YOU RAN INTO THAT PROBLEM YET? IF SO, WHAT IS THE CURE?

THANKS,

All AUGI, all the time CADDmanVA's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bobmauney
    I LIKE THE IDEA OF ANNOTATIVE SCALED TEXT. HOWEVER, I HAVE RAN INTO SOMETHING I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO SOLVE. I HAVE TO CLOSE OUT MY DWG FILE AND RE-OPEN IT BEFORE THE PROGRAM WILL LET ME EDIT, MOVE, ERASE, ETC. ANNOTATIVE SCALED TEXT IN A DRAWING.

HAVE YOU RAN INTO THAT PROBLEM YET? IF SO, WHAT IS THE CURE?

THANKS,
    Be sure the scale you are in (bottom right corner of screen) matches the scale of what you are trying to edit if you have ANNOALLVISIBLE set to 1.

Login to Give a bone

THANKS, I HAVE ANNOALLVISIBLE SET TO (1). THE NEXT TIME I HAVE THE PROBLEM I'LL CHECK TO SEE IF THE RIGHT SCALE IS DISPLAYED. IT'S AGGRAVATING BECAUSE IT HAPPENS AT RANDOM.