Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Typical residential windows in your area

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Typical residential windows in your area

I often hear how pathetic our windows are in terms of energy efficiency criteria so I was wondering if people have the inclination to supply some data on what would constitute a typical and somewhat inexpensive window would be in your area.

For us it is an aluminium framed, 4mm clear glass window with a solar heat gain coefficient of about 0.7 and a U value of something like 6.65. Our summer diurnal range is typically 18degC (night) and 34 degC (day). Winters probably 10degC (night) and 18degC (day).

We hear double glazing is very prevalent for others and I am hoping to find out if that is true or if is it distorted fact to suit an argument.

thanks,
    Rob

All AUGI, all the time BillyGrey's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: Typical residential windows in your area

Dual glazing is an industry standard mandated by code in my part of the world. (West coast US). No myth, and as far as I am concerned, other than the cost argument, dual glaze windows are far superior to single glaze.

Many options are available for solar gain/coefficient ratios through the use of differing
    window coatings, and even the use of argon gas, etc., between panes (which is 6 times denser than air) can aid in the insulating properties of the windows.

Do a little Google-ing on companies like Weather Shield, Pella, Marvin, Milguard, Andersen
    and you should find a trove of technical data on their websites.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Typical residential windows in your area

'Low E' coated double glazing (equivalent to triple glazing) is now mandatory in the UK for all new and replacement windows (historic buildings are exempt).

Glazing units are typically 4mm glass /16 mm air gap / 4 mm glass but Argon filled units are slimmer - those are popular with metal casement and sash window manufacturers.

The coated units have to be installed the right way round - the coating is on the inside of the outer pane of glass.

U-value of doors and windows is meant to be an average I think of 2.2 W/m2K.

Login to Give a bone

Here in Chicago, I don't think I've ever used a single pane window in my career, though I've seen them used in the south and on really old buildings. Our "typical" windows are Marvin, Anderson, Pella, Vetter, and Lowen. Our temperature range is comparable in the summer though some years it gets warmer but much colder in the winter often spendings days at a time below 0F (-18F)

For the climate you're describing, I don't know if double pain would help a lot with conduction, though a low-e coating is still useful. Apart from thermal control, insulated glazing units are also useful for sound control.

All AUGI, all the time BomberAIA's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I live in South Florida and we use aluminum framed tinted single pane windows normally single hung. Now higher end houses are using impact glass in lieu of shutters for hurricane and some use clad windows like Pella.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for that everyone.

Login to Give a bone

In colder climates the double pain low e insulated glazing is code, in the south(Florida, I see single pane on almost everything. I even asked the electric company to come to my house and do an analysis and thought the first thing they would recommend was for me to get double pane windows, they said no, it doesn't help much in hot areas. I don't really understand why not, I always learned that delta T was delta T and heat/cold would always try to equal out. He's trying to tell me that cold(aircondintioning) doesn't escape as fast as heat?
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sbrown
    In colder climates the double pain low e insulated glazing is code, in the south(Florida, I see single pane on almost everything. I even asked the electric company to come to my house and do an analysis and thought the first thing they would recommend was for me to get double pane windows, they said no, it doesn't help much in hot areas. I don't really understand why not, I always learned that delta T was delta T and heat/cold would always try to equal out. He's trying to tell me that cold(aircondintioning) doesn't escape as fast as heat?
    Hmmmmmmm...........last time I looked at a thermal conductance formula it went something like W / (metres squared x degC). I can't see an option for positive or negative temperature.

Having said that if you have high windows and cold air sinks then I suppose you could have a layer of cold air below the window line. Haven't heard it before though.

All AUGI, all the time tc3dcad60731's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Interesting reading this..... Most of the windows that I see around here are double paned and they are even starting to push Low-E here too. (a term that you did not used to hear much of). Biggest thing around here is DP (design pressure) ratings due to the huricane area we live in. Most windows used around here are vinyl clad and most doors are either wood, metal, and fiberglass.

Atleast this is what I have seen, been asked to call out, and have called out.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tc3dcad
    Interesting reading this..... Most of the windows that I see around here are double paned and they are even starting to push Low-E here too. (a term that you did not used to hear much of). Biggest thing around here is DP (design pressure) ratings due to the huricane area we live in. Most windows used around here are vinyl clad and most doors are either wood, metal, and fiberglass.

Atleast this is what I have seen, been asked to call out, and have called out.
    Vinyl clad windows - a search came up with windows that have replaced the glass with PVC. Is that correct?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast