See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: C3D 2006_ Need to create Northing & Easting Label

Login to Give a bone

Red face C3D 2006_ Need to create Northing & Easting Label

Ive been using AutoCad for over 12 years in a number of civil engineering offices; prior my current employment, which began about a year and a half ago, I was using R14. Right now, I'm in an office that still uses C3D 2006 (though it was a great step up from my previous experience level) and I've been trying to learn C3D for the past year. Mostly, we use the C3D package but just do basic 2D AutoCad commands 95% of the time.
    With constant deadlines and no company support for "certified training" we're left to our own devices to figure out how to use the software. Hence, as I mentioned, we largely do simple 2D Autocad most of the time. There's only about half a dozen of use that try to actually implement certain aspects of C3D. I focus on labels and point styles most of the time, another person does the surface models to support other staff people who do profiles and grading. So each of us has a small part of the picture of what C3D can do, but none of us, as yet, can claim outright "competence" overall.
    With that background, can anyone help lead me to the "best practice" route of finding and using labels that we can apply as Northing & Easting labels around a general site area? It appears that most of the built in labels are geared toward baselines and alignments. I'd like to set up a label that uses a leader positioned with the Northing coordinate listed in a "stacked text" manner above the leader landing and the Easting value below the landing. It seems like such a simple task that I'm almost ashamed to admit the amount of time I've invested (not all at one sitting) and have yet to accomplished the task. I just recently discovered the control mechanism for adjusting the length of the landing portion of the leader. It appears to tied in with the arrowhead size value; when you set one the other changes proportionally. but I'm not sure this is the appropriate or "best practices" way of configuring the label.
    Any assistance will, most certainly, be welcome. And "Bless yer l'il pea-pickin' hearts out there, hear!?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: C3D 2006_ Need to create Northing & Easting Label

Sorry, I don't have much time to play with it. In the general menu, add labels, then create a new label style. You can add in a new reference text component for cogo point, then attach a label with this new label style to an existing cogo point.

I'm sure there's an easier and better way, and sorry if this doesn't make sense.

Stephen

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Hi Richard! (sorry the ID didn't register)
    You can define a label style (Point or using reference text) and include a Line as part of that label. The line can then be attached to either end of your Northing (Bottom Left or Bottom Right) and then a second line can then be attached to the end of the first line and set the length to match the Top Left or Top Right of the Easting portion of the label. This way, if your Easting is larger than your Northing, the second line will be drawn to the end of your label (overlining your Easting) If Your Northing is largest, then the second line will essentially not be drawn (it will actually be placed in the drawing, but when you plot, you shouldn't see it since it will be drawn from the end of the first line back to the justification point of the Easting Label.
    The image below shows what the label would look like in the editor. This label is set up for a CL intersection label that adds the Station and Alignment Name both above and below the line drawn under the top portion of the label
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MHultgren; 2007-08-15 at 03:31 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: C3D 2006_ Need to create Northing & Easting Label

My thanks to Stephen Cowling, and Mark Hultgren for their assistance. I got kinda lost, I must admit, but that's because of my lack of adequate knowledge at this point. I'll study your advice and hopefully get this thing figured out. I've gathered all sorts of documentation; now I just need the time to devote to in-depth practice and study. I've got too many distractions and every time I do sit down to some serious learning, there's such a long list of what I want to learn that I tend to just go around in circles and not really get much accomplished. Focus is certainly a struggle.
    Take Care for now and thanks again!
    Richard Domke
    Miami, Fl.

Login to Give a bone

Mark, the line thing is interesting. Are you still recommending attaching a label to a cogo point? It's a pity there's no more direct way, like the general construction note.

Actually, if you attach to an alignment rather than a point, you can pick anywhere in the drawing as required.

Here's a quick lisp method, using a routine by John R. Ricker. I can't remember where I got it from and apologies if it isn't freeware.

This is something I want to have set up eventually as well, so if you can't work it out I can post an example. I'm in Australia though, so you won't like the units!

Cheers
    Stephen
    Attached Files Attached Files

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Hi Stephen,
    Actually I wasn't recommending attaching it to a COGO point, you can use this approach for Surface Labels, General Note Labels or Alignment labels too. I was just showing an option of adding the line(s) as an integrated part of the label itself. In the Label Style dialog, You have options for Lines, Blocks (for most styles) refernce text and straight Text. You just have to use your imagination to develop the Styles you need and can make use of. I am a BIG supporter for automating as much as I can.
    Last edited by MHultgren; 2007-08-15 at 03:33 PM.