Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheet Set Manager to Allow for Multiple Paper Space Drawings

ACAD Wish List Administration

Default Sheet Set Manager to Allow for Multiple Paper Space Drawings

Summary: Sheet set manager to allow for multiple viewports on one layout tab where each viewport would be a sheet in the sheet set manager.

Description: Retool Sheet Set Manager to accommodate multiple paper space drawings in one file-NOT TABS, not individual drawing files. In my field (civil) we have multiple drawings (ie. all of the construction sheets along the roadway alignment in one file window to facilitate efficient labeling and redlines.

How Used: Saves time, reduces errors.

Time savings=productivity=profit.

Feature Affinity: Sheet Set Manager

Submitted By: Sue Davis on May 22, 2007

Exclamation Re: Sheet Set Manager to Allow for Multiple Paper Space Drawings

I don't get this. Each layout *is* a sheet.

Are you putting several sheets in one layout? If so, why? What does that allow you to do that having each sheet on a separate layout does not?

Thanks.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Default Re: Sheet Set Manager to Allow for Multiple Paper Space Drawings

We are Civil.

For maximum speed and efficiency labeling and editing along an alignment that may be several miles long, we will have several "sheets" showing in one layout. Also for detail sheets where there are endless additions and rearranging from sheet to sheet. This has sped up our drafting production and decreased our errors and omissions for red lines and labeling substantially.

We want to see all sheets of a run in one view. They are sent to the plotter based on their page set up. I want sheet set manager to be able import sheets from plot set up as an option. Its not for everybody but for those of us who use this format this would make sheet set manager more user friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by bisquite
    We are Civil.
    So are we.

We want to see all sheets of a run in one view.
    We just plot from model space to do that.

When it comes time to plot each sheet, how do you do that? You must have to run the .PLOT command once for each sheet in each layout since ._PUBLISH won't help. Seems like that extra time would offset whatever productivity you gained by having all the sheets in one layout.

Thanks for the info.

"Plot from model space"

You're missing the point completely, then you can't use sheet set manager.

This IS a time savings and I'm tired of people responding to posts about this with responses that we either "don't understand sheet set manager" or "this isn't what it's meant for" There is no reason that I can't have more than one sheet per layout, with the type of information we use (contours, images, existing conditions, future conditions, design contours, etc...) and still have the all of the automation that sheet set manager provides. This would be EXTREMELY valuble, to not to have to switch layout tabs, and wait for a regen, or wait for another drawing to load.

Kudos to this!

Quote Originally Posted by briansi
    "Plot from model space"

You're missing the point completely, then you can't use sheet set manager.
    We do it every day. Plot a model space view from the overall drawing to see the entire corridor (say from station 0+00 to station 64+90)

For some of our users, there is one P&P drawing for each alignment and it contains multiple layouts, one per plotted sheet.

For other users of ours, there is one P&P drawing for each plotted sheet.

Either way lets us use SSM.

This IS a time savings and I'm tired of people responding to posts about this with responses that we either "don't understand sheet set manager" or "this isn't what it's meant for"
    Well, that's what it sounds like, and that isn't how it was designed. You have yet to respond how you plot a complete set of sheets. I was really interested in that answer. Maybe you do have a better system, but I can't tell yet. We have 100+ sheet construction plans with each sheet as it's own DWG file, and we can plot this automatically using SSM/Publish with no "downtime" on the user. He just opens another ACAD session and continues working.

There is no reason that I can't have more than one sheet per layout, with the type of information we use (contours, images, existing conditions, future conditions, design contours, etc...) and still have the all of the automation that sheet set manager provides. This would be EXTREMELY valuble, to not to have to switch layout tabs, and wait for a regen, or wait for another drawing to load.
    There is almost always 3 ways or more to do just about anything in AutoCAD. If Autodesk wants to add this capability to SSM - then here is no argument here. I just don't think they will give any thought to such an idea. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain
    We do it every day. Plot a model space view from the overall drawing to see the entire corridor (say from station 0+00 to station 64+90)

For some of our users, there is one P&P drawing for each alignment and it contains multiple layouts, one per plotted sheet.

For other users of ours, there is one P&P drawing for each plotted sheet.

Either way lets us use SSM.

Well, that's what it sounds like, and that isn't how it was designed. You have yet to respond how you plot a complete set of sheets. I was really interested in that answer. Maybe you do have a better system, but I can't tell yet. We have 100+ sheet construction plans with each sheet as it's own DWG file, and we can plot this automatically using SSM/Publish with no "downtime" on the user. He just opens another ACAD session and continues working.

There is almost always 3 ways or more to do just about anything in AutoCAD. If Autodesk wants to add this capability to SSM - then here is no argument here. I just don't think they will give any thought to such an idea. Good luck.

To plot an entire plan set in our company we use the batch plotter which accepts sheets based on their plot configuration. We want SSM to do the same so we can enjoy all of the conveniences that come with it.

we use the batch plotter
    What is "the batch plotter"? Thanks.

The batch plot program that comes with AutoCAD 2002

To plot an entire plan set in our company we use the batch plotter which accepts sheets based on their plot configuration. We want SSM to do the same so we can enjoy all of the conveniences that come with it.
    SSM creates hard copies by using the ._PUBLISH command, which also "accepts sheets based on their plot configuration".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast