Thread: Problems Editing Feature Data in AutoCAD Map 2008

Login to Give a bone

Angry Problems Editing Feature Data in AutoCAD Map 2008

We are having serious problems editing Shape files and SDF files using the Data Connect. We have done many tests using sample and real data and keep having the same problems.

Problem 1: Some points will not delete. I bring in a shape file of over 5000 point features with an ID number attribute using the Data Connect (FDO). I then select all points and select “Check-out Features”. I select half of the points by drawing a box, and then hit the delete button. The points disappear. I click “Select Checked Out Features” and then click on “Check-in Features”. Visually, it looks as if all the points I selected and deleted are gone. I close out of AutoCAD MAP. I open the Shape File using Arcview 3.2 or ArcGIS 9.2 to view the edited Shape file and there are points being displayed that should have been deleted. I look at the number of points in the shape file, and they are different than the number that was stated in the table within AutoCAD Map before closing out of it. We have even opened the .dbf file using Access and it confirms what the ESRI products see. I then reopened the AutoCAD drawing and look at the points. Same number as before and it looks the same. I closed the drawing, created a new AutoCAD drawing and Imported the same Shape File and it shows what the ESRI products were seeing. I even tried this same test with an SDF file and had the same thing happen. We have had these reasults repeated over and over and have tried many variables and find it unacceptable as an editing tool for feature data.

Problem 2: Dissappearing data. Similar to the steps in Problem 1, except that we are creating new points by right clicking on the loaded data in the Display Manager and selecting “Create”. When we open in ESRI products or Access, we get a different number of points being shown. We create it in MAP, but it does not really get created, or at least some of it.

Problem 3: Invisible points. While doing the tests for Problem 2 we noticed that the one or two points would dissappear, but if you selected in that area, the point would be selectable. Nothing I did would bring it back, even though it was “still there”.

System
    Software: AutoCAD Map 3D 2008
    CPU: Xeon 3.00GHz
    Memory: 2 GB RAM
    Video Card: nVidia Quadro NVS 285 with current driver

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Problems Editing Feature Data in AutoCAD Map 2008

Jfrazier, I'll expand a little more on this than what I replied to in the AD group. First the shp and sdf format are single file format, meaning all the data is contained in one file (or in the shp format 3 files, but the concept is the same) They work independent of any other file. The idea behind them is to share the data between systems, If you ever used the E-transmit command to send a dwg to someone you know what i mean. The data provider for the shp format is not designed to allow users to delete or make major edits to the features. It was designed to edit the shape of the geometry and make it more accurate than the drawing tools in ESRI (OOTB) then either save back to the shp format for use in another system or convert over to a spatial database. The providers for both shp and SDF are from the MapGuide program and MapGuide is more of a VIEWING tool than an editing tool. MHO is the shp format was great 20 years ago and makes for a nice package it up and sent to someone format but over the years it has been replaced with better formats due to advances in the computer and database worlds.
    As for the SDF format, I have no idea what AutoDesk and the open source community have planned for it. It makes for a nice alternative for shp format but the more I work with them the more problems I see with that format trying to edit them.
    BTW I have seen the same problems you are seeing with the disappearing features or deleting a feature in one program and it still shows up in the other.

Login to Give a bone

Stirring pot now...

jfrazier,

These are simple ideas and according to what you wrote probably wont change anything but I always like to start with the basics...

1. Make sure you are in plan view, map objects are not super 3D friendly.

2. Make sure you are in 2D Wireframe, not any other shademode.

I beleive both of these settings are stored in the drawing.

Also, Map 3D and FDO have been created to Manage and Edit large sets of Data from many external sources, including SHP and SDF3 (Map 3D 200. I have worked with entire counties worth of SHP data and have not experienced these issues. If you are able to post the files and exact steps you are taking that would be great. Many of us would be happy to try and replicate it and see if we can figure out whats going on.

Thanks, Jeremiah

Login to Give a bone

JeremiahM,
    I noticed a different signature, did you changed jobs?

Login to Give a bone

AutoDESK duplicated my errors with my data and have sent them to the developers to review. We have seen this problem with many test and live shp and sdf files. I think the problem may lie in the OSGeo FDO Provider as that one is used for SHP and SDF. I am looking into converting everything over to Oracle as it uses the AutoDESK FDO provider as I no longer trust my data with the OSGeo FDO provider.

JerimiaM: I checked my view and I am in a 2d plan view and there is no shading as these data sets were point files.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jmurphy View Post
    JeremiahM,
    I noticed a different signature, did you changed jobs?
    Yes Murph, I have. I saw you in the webcast last friday, never knew you were in the business!

I am sure we will be talking more. I have a high focus on the Telco side that is taking me all over the country...

Jeremiah

Login to Give a bone

Very good jfrazier. Glad we are working on it. If you can share the results that would be great. i will have to find some bigger data sets! The open source community around MapGuide and FDO have done some exciting things... now its up to the user community to aid in perfecting them.

Jeremiah

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by JeremiahM View Post
    Yes Murph, I have. I saw you in the webcast last friday, never knew you were in the business!

I am sure we will be talking more. I have a high focus on the Telco side that is taking me all over the country...

Jeremiah
    Been on this side for a year now, the drawing of power poles those telco compancies to attach to for fre was getting boring.

Login to Give a bone

SP1 for Map 3D 2008 is out and should fix this problem...

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...linkID=9240858

Jeremiah