Thread: Using SSM to create advanced Sheet List Table

Login to Give a bone

Red face Using SSM to create advanced Sheet List Table

I have been working with an Excel file (.xls) that has been setup to keep track of the various sheets in a large project. This served as my starting point in getting familiar with the scope of what I was trying to do in compiling a Sheet List using the Sheet Set Manager (SSM) feature in Civil 3D 2006. The whole task seems kind of overwhelming the more I look at it but the alternative of opening files one-by-one forces me to keep at it, trying to produce a sheet list table that be edited and it, in turn will take care of implementing all the changes to each sheet in the project as the whole thing develops.
    This "summary of sheets",though, while it does account for the numbers of sheets in each category (or "discipline"), doesn't actually list each sheet so don't see how it can serve to accomplish specifically what I'm trying to do.
    I think that I need a separate table that could but may not necessarily need to be linked to this summary of sheets, for the purpose of updating all sheets as they are added or removed from the project list. I think perhaps I should focus on that list for the time being.
    I have already created a basic sheet list using SSM that enables me to print the files, now I need to expand it to include fields for automatically modifying and updating specific text labels of information unique to each sheet, such as title, sheet number file name, etc. This is the point at which I get bogged down. I think I need to establish the specific labels that I want to be able to edit and update automatically; should I do this incorporating attributes and fields or just mtext with fields or simple text with fields? Should I try to include entries for revision data at this time or can that be added later? Most of our sheets are set up with two horizontal viewports, each showing a segment of roadway within the project site. Should I go to the extent of creating viewport names and "saved views" at this time with labels for each (perhaps placed on a special "hidden" layer) because our plotted sheets don't label the views per se. Perhaps this is overkill in trying to set up too much data that is unnecessary but seems like it might have good use at some point.
    These are the thoughts and decisions I keep mulling over but not making much headway in getting the final product put together. Am I on the right track or am I making a mountain out of a mole-hill?
    The other issue i'm concerned about is whether 2006 has the capability to create tables with adequate intelligence to automate updating all the necessary sheet information I am trying to include. What limitations or constraints are in 2006, regarding this task, that have been resolved in 2007 and 2008? I'd like to know where to draw the line in trying to create an "intelligent table" for applying automation to the process of editing sheets.
    So far, I've just been working with SSM but I've read bits & pieces that give me the thought that using excel to some extent may be prudent. I checked the "help" info with AutoCad and understand that exporting a table (going one way or the other; I don't remember which) loses all table formating by virtue of conversion to a comma-delimited file format. I haven't been able to get the fields to fall in-line with the columns I wanted as yet. Is table I'v attached too complex for the capabilities of SSM in 2006 or is it simply a matter that I don't yet know what I'm doing? With a project that has several hundred sheets, this automation issue is pretty important. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

All AUGI, all the time SRBalliet's Avatar
    Near Christiansburg, VA Looking for a closer job!
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Using SSM to create advanced Sheet List Table

Until we get to 2008 which allows dynamic excel spreadsheets usage, we use a 3rd party software called xl2cad by Dotsoft. I think that would give you the result you want.

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Using SSM to create advanced Sheet List Table

I've been kind of thinking along your lines
    I have tried it on 80 drawings and the SSM (or PC resources) seemed to struggle with it

In the mean time I have been using eattext, (like you mentioned). to xls
    I find this a really nice quick way to build Drawing Lists/Index

Our campany makes no allowance for SSM so I have to tread carefully as no one else knows what it is

Regards