Thread: Point database

Login to Give a bone

Default Point database

Greetings,

A vendor has suggested that we use LandXML import and export functions in Civil3d to fake a point database for multi-drawing sharing of point information. Has anyone ever tried this on real work? Are there any obvious (or non-obvious) problems that will pop up?

Is there any advantage to using LandXML vs an ascii point file for the purposes of sharing point information between drawings?

Cheers!

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Point database

LandXML will generally cause the point file to bloat quite a bit. Why not look at using Data Shortcuts to export your data (besides the points) and then import the shortcuts into your other drawings. Or just use them within the files so they will stay synched easier.

Login to Give a bone

Yes, that's the plan right now. Except.... Points can't be datareferenced. Either they only exist in one drawing, or the same point info is in many drawings (and changeable in each one - not fun that last bit)

<rant mode=ON> what the heck were they thinking of????? points with no point DB? sheesh!!! instead of throwing out the baby with the LDT bathwater, at least steal the good ideas from LDT and bring em into C3D!!!! </rant mode = OFF>
    Last edited by cadtag; 2007-08-23 at 05:45 PM.

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

CadTag,
    Have you looked at using Vault? This would actually give you a database of ALL your data that can be used in any drawing associated with the project. Think of it as an Doc Management system for C3D. Kind of a morph of C3D and the LDT project based approach. SQL 5 Express can handle ten users easily per DB and it is easy to set up a new DB for each project team.

Login to Give a bone

There appears to be some internal IT or corporate resistance to using Vault. Since that's what Adesk is building their data references around, we _ought_ to try to use it. But I've been trying to see if there are any viable alternatives to get pas the IT resistance to yet-another-SQL DB.

From what I can tell, there are'nt. So, I'm back to pushing for Vault. LandXML for a point management databse is NOT a good option.

BTW -- thanks for your help. I'm very appreciative of the effort and information you put into this forum.!
    Last edited by cadtag; 2007-08-23 at 08:23 PM. Reason: just wanted to thank Mark

All AUGI, all the time brian.hailey933139's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

cadtag,

How many users will be using Civil 3D in your office? If there are less then eight, you can simply install Vault on an XP Pro box and away you go! Very simple to set up. When you have more then eight users, xp pro won't let them all access the data at the same time so you would then need a server os.

Login to Give a bone

That's the approach I've proposed to IT & management. A separate Vault-only box with XP Pro that's not used as a workstation in each office/location.

All AUGI, all the time brian.hailey933139's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Your reseller should be able to assist you with the set up of your vault. If you reseller can't/won't, I would suggest finding a new reseller.

[begin shameless self promotion plug]If you are in the Colorado/Wyoming area, let me know and perhaps we can help you out.[end shameless self promotion plug]