See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Rotate Viewport

  1. #1
    100 Club
    Join Date
    2007-02
    Location
    Lost?
    Posts
    118
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Rotate Viewport

    How do you rotate a viewport?

    Thank you very much.

  2. #2
    AUGI Addict cdatechguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    2006-10
    Location
    CdA, ID
    Posts
    1,533
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Rotate Viewport

    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    How do you rotate a viewport?

    Thank you very much.
    MVSETUP -->Align-->Rotate View...
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink or :whiskey: or :wine:"

  3. #3
    100 Club
    Join Date
    2006-10
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    154
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Rotate Viewport

    I use DVIEW => All => TWist

    The viewport has to be active. You will need to input the rotation you would like at this point. Just follow the remaining prompts.

    I haven't heard of the MVsetup before. I tried it and both have about the same number of steps.

    Just another option.

  4. #4
    AUGI Addict cdatechguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    2006-10
    Location
    CdA, ID
    Posts
    1,533
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Rotate Viewport

    Quote Originally Posted by margaretl View Post
    I use DVIEW => All => TWist

    The viewport has to be active. You will need to input the rotation you would like at this point. Just follow the remaining prompts.

    I haven't heard of the MVsetup before. I tried it and both have about the same number of steps.

    Just another option.
    DVIEW is mostly used for 3D objects.....MVSetup is specifically used for viewports.
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink or :whiskey: or :wine:"

  5. #5
    All AUGI, all the time Richard.Kent's Avatar
    Join Date
    2001-01
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM, USA
    Posts
    622
    Login to Give a bone
    1

    Default Re: Rotate Viewport

    Both of the solutions given are good answers, either will work. If you want to know what those commands are doing in the background, so to speak, read on.

    You can accomplish the same objective by manipulating the UCS and then use the Plan command. So, you start by using UCS, Z, 90. Plan, Current.

    The 90 is for rotating the "view" 90 degrees, plug in any other value for other angles. Don't know the angle?, then use UCS, Object, pick an object to align to, or UCS, 3, then pick three points, the first and second points will describe the X axis, the third point will describe the Y axis.

    Again, after using those methods, invoke Plan, C, and you have the same results as the other methods.

    If you know you will simply need to rotate the view 90 degrees often, then it is easy enough to write a simple macro or lisp routine for
    UCS;Z;90;;PLAN;C;

  6. #6
    All AUGI, all the time CADDmanVA's Avatar
    Join Date
    2006-12
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    881
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Rotate Viewport

    Quote Originally Posted by kent.elrod View Post
    ...You can accomplish the same objective by manipulating the UCS and then use the Plan command. So, you start by using UCS, Z, 90. Plan, Current....
    Cool! I always used DVIEW for rotating Viewports. Now I know a simpler way, thanks!
    I loved the NCS so much, I joined the committee!

    "Truth suffers from too much analysis"
    I remember AutoCAD R10

    When will Autodesk port AutoCAD to Linux?

  7. #7
    AUGI Director scott.wilcox's Avatar
    Join Date
    2015-11
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    990
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Rotate Viewport

    I select an entity I want to be the new positive x-axis, and use UCS, E (entity) option, then plan. Another method is UCS, 3P (3 point), where you define a new origin, and positive x and y axes.
    Why draw straws? Just draw one straw and array it.

    Scott Wilcox - Edmonton, Alberta


  8. #8
    Certifiable AUGI Addict tedg's Avatar
    Join Date
    2005-06
    Location
    in the upper right corner
    Posts
    3,346
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Rotate Viewport

    I have a routine I wrote for creating views around a plan for creating building sections and elevations, it does what's been described, rotates the usc, sets the plan view, zooms extents and names the view. It does this on all four sides of the plan, then you simply restore that named view ("front", "right", "back" and "left") while in model space or through a viewport.
    Code:
    ;;;;MAKE-VIEWS.lsp  by Ted G.
    
    ;;;Makes four views around a plan View for projecting geometry 
    ;;;to create Building Elevations and Sections 
    
    ;;;It's assumed the "front" of the building is at the bottom of the plan
    ;;;while in the world coordinate system.
    
    (defun c:4v ()
    (command "ucs" "w" "plan" "")
    (command "zoom"  "e"  "zoom"  ".9x")
    (command "-view" "save" "FRONT")
    (command "ucs" "z" "90" "plan" "current")
    (command "zoom"  "e"  "zoom"  ".9x")
    (command "-view" "save" "RIGHT")
    (command "ucs" "z" "90" "plan" "current")
    (command "zoom"  "e"  "zoom"  ".9x")
    (command "-view" "save" "BACK")
    (command "ucs" "z" "90" "plan" "current")
    (command "zoom"  "e"  "zoom"  ".9x")
    (command "-view" "save" "LEFT")
    (command "-view" "restore" "FRONT")
    (princ))
    (princ "  MAKE-VIEWS loaded")
    (princ ", type: 4V")
    Hope it helps, it's been made part of our standard procedures.
    Ted
    ____________________________________________________________________ ________________
    Windows 10
    AutoCAD 2018 - REVIT 2019 - Inventor Professional 2017 (when I can)

  9. #9
    100 Club
    Join Date
    2007-02
    Location
    Lost?
    Posts
    118
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Rotate Viewport

    Quote Originally Posted by tedg View Post
    I have a routine I wrote for creating views around a plan for creating building sections and elevations, it does what's been described, rotates the usc, sets the plan view, zooms extents and names the view. It does this on all four sides of the plan, then you simply restore that named view ("front", "right", "back" and "left") while in model space or through a viewport.
    Code:
    ;;;;MAKE-VIEWS.lsp  by Ted G.
    
    ;;;Makes four views around a plan View for projecting geometry 
    ;;;to create Building Elevations and Sections 
    
    ;;;It's assumed the "front" of the building is at the bottom of the plan
    ;;;while in the world coordinate system.
    
    (defun c:4v ()
    (command "ucs" "w" "plan" "")
    (command "zoom"  "e"  "zoom"  ".9x")
    (command "-view" "save" "FRONT")
    (command "ucs" "z" "90" "plan" "current")
    (command "zoom"  "e"  "zoom"  ".9x")
    (command "-view" "save" "RIGHT")
    (command "ucs" "z" "90" "plan" "current")
    (command "zoom"  "e"  "zoom"  ".9x")
    (command "-view" "save" "BACK")
    (command "ucs" "z" "90" "plan" "current")
    (command "zoom"  "e"  "zoom"  ".9x")
    (command "-view" "save" "LEFT")
    (command "-view" "restore" "FRONT")
    (princ))
    (princ "  MAKE-VIEWS loaded")
    (princ ", type: 4V")
    Hope it helps, it's been made part of our standard procedures.
    i have no idea what this means. do you mind explaining?

  10. #10
    Certifiable AUGI Addict tedg's Avatar
    Join Date
    2005-06
    Location
    in the upper right corner
    Posts
    3,346
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Rotate Viewport

    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    i have no idea what this means. do you mind explaining?
    I'm sorry, that was clear as mud wasn't it?
    You were asking "how to rotate a view port" right?
    One of the procedures you were given was rotating the ucs to some angle you choose, and setting the "plan" current: (see kent.elrod's post).

    Anyway, my lisp routine does what kent.elrod's post explains, it does it four times and names the views too so you can restore them later.

    To answer your question, you can "rotate the viewport" one of two way using this method.

    1. You can activate the viewport (go into modelspace through the viewport) and run a simple command string: ("ucs" "z" <your desired angle> "plan" "current") and then pan and zoom for your desired viewport scale.

    2. You can be in either modelspace or in paperspace through a view port, use the command above, and type "view" and "save" this view (which is what my routine does) and then through the active viewport, restore your desired view, pan and zoom for your desired viewport scale.

    Does that help explain it better?

    Just to let you know, in this command string ("ucs" "z" <your desired angle> "plan" "current") you're rotating the ucs about the "z" axis (the one coming at you) you can also rotate it about the x or y axis too, great for 3d work.

    Good luck
    Last edited by tedg; 2007-08-29 at 01:13 PM.
    Ted
    ____________________________________________________________________ ________________
    Windows 10
    AutoCAD 2018 - REVIT 2019 - Inventor Professional 2017 (when I can)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Rotate Viewport?
    By mrfrancisleung in forum AutoCAD General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2008-07-21, 08:57 PM
  2. Rotate Viewport
    By Jack Cheong in forum AutoCAD General
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 2007-11-20, 10:36 PM
  3. How do I rotate a viewport
    By Dave Lewis in forum Revit Architecture - General
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 2006-12-18, 05:23 PM
  4. Rotate the viewport, rotate the MS content
    By autocad.wishlist1734 in forum AutoCAD Wish List
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2006-07-12, 12:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •