Thread: 3D Clouds

Design Visualization Moderator stusic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Question 3D Clouds

Hey All,

I'm trying to make some clouds in my scene that have depth (i.e., not just as a material on my background), maybe even with the possibility of being animated. Does anyone know of a good way to do this? I've been messing around with a few particle clouds with instanced geometry in a scene (see attached), but haven't gotten the realism I am looking for. I'm trying to get the shape moreso than the texture right now, so they look blown out -- that'll be something I'll adjust later. I tried using volumetric clouds, but Max puts the clouds in front of the structures where they shouldn't be. Any ideas?

Gracias!
    Attached Images Attached Images

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 3D Clouds

Quote Originally Posted by stusic View Post
    Hey All,

I'm trying to make some clouds in my scene that have depth (i.e., not just as a material on my background), maybe even with the possibility of being animated. Does anyone know of a good way to do this? I've been messing around with a few particle clouds with instanced geometry in a scene (see attached), but haven't gotten the realism I am looking for. I'm trying to get the shape moreso than the texture right now, so they look blown out -- that'll be something I'll adjust later. I tried using volumetric clouds, but Max puts the clouds in front of the structures where they shouldn't be. Any ideas?

Gracias!
    I came across this article a while back which may be worth a look.

I could stop if I wanted to dellis's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Are the clouds just sitting there or are they coming out of the stack? If you want smoke coming up out of the stacks i can help you with the particles....i'm pretty good with PFlow. If they are just hanging around in the sky i would use volume fog and adjust the position and size of your fog gizmos to your needs. You can also animate the fog in the volume fog. Let me know if you need a hand.

Design Visualization Moderator stusic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dellis View Post
    Are the clouds just sitting there or are they coming out of the stack? If you want smoke coming up out of the stacks i can help you with the particles....i'm pretty good with PFlow. If they are just hanging around in the sky i would use volume fog and adjust the position and size of your fog gizmos to your needs. You can also animate the fog in the volume fog. Let me know if you need a hand.
    They're not supposed to be coming out of the stack; just sitting in the background (bad placement on my part). I would like to animate them, and the link you gave looks like what I'm trying to do. I don't have much experience with particle systems, so I may take you up on that help you offered.

I'll work on it tonight and post an update as to how it goes.

Thanks!