Thread: HELP!! AutoCAD MEP 2008 to Revit Architecture 2008

I could stop if I wanted to Dr._House's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default HELP!! AutoCAD MEP 2008 to Revit Architecture 2008

HELP!! We're trying to help Client using Revit Architecture 2008 to see our drawings we created in AutoCAD MEP 2008. We got it so he can see the 3D Objects we made, but now it's not coming in at a common base point and our 2D Backgrounds are not coming with our plans.. any suggestions..

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: HELP!! AutoCAD MEP 2008 to Revit Architecture 2008

Quote Originally Posted by rtivis View Post
    HELP!! We're trying to help Client using Revit Architecture 2008 to see our drawings we created in AutoCAD MEP 2008. We got it so he can see the 3D Objects we made, but now it's not coming in at a common base point and our 2D Backgrounds are not coming with our plans.. any suggestions..
    Let me understand, you have an AutoCAD MEP drawing you are attempting to bring into Revit Architecture.

First, your best bet is to do an IFC export of the AutoCAD MEP data into the Revit Environment. This will be the best translation of the AutoCAD data into Revit.

Next (and I know this is not new) take a look at these documents for some guidance (The Revit Structure info should basically apply to Revit Architecture as well.):

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/file...utocad_mep.pdf
    http://www.avat.com/documents/whitep...itworkflow.pdf

Forum Username Moderator
    Login to Give a bone

Haven't tried this but it seems to me if you work can be seen and the backgrounds can't, it should be easy enough to send your work without the backgrounds (after placing a couple of corner points for reference and registration purposes). The architect should be able to link/import your work and combine with his floor plans (2D not 3D). The registration points would allow him to align to his Revit floor plan once your drawing is linked/imported.

Let us know if this works as i am sure many other firms will need to go through the same process until Revit MEP becomes more accepted.

Login to Give a bone

The last time I tried this, this is what I did.
    We picked a common point outside the building. It was about 5' off a column line. We kept that point no matter what. We place an 'X" on both the plans of the revit model and the plans of the AMEP model. We exported in a 3d view the AMEP model to get the 3d stuff, then exported to Acad each plan view of the AMEP model. Then we referenced each of them in. Combersome, but it kept a common point for all. One other thing to look at. The further away from 0,0 you are in your AMEP model the worse the results will be. While the AMEP model will look great, it will come in to the revit model slightly off do to the distance away from 0,0. Just a few thoughts.